Based 15 years after the end of the second game in the series, Suikoden III stars three characters-Hugo, Chris, and Gedo, who begin their journeys in three different locations around the gameworld. As the game's story progresses, their respective quests will intertwine as the plot winds toward one epic climax.
Players engage in RPG turn-based mechanics. Each party the character uses holds up to 6 characters and is divided into three sections of "partners." These partners can combine for a unite attack (if available), or attack individually using either their weapon or a rune (magic attack) that has been embedded. Only one character can use magic per round, however, so strategy is a must. Also characters develop unique skills by either knowing them innately or learning them from a skillmaster. Characters can further develop their skills by gaining enough skill points during battle.
- 108 characters to recruit.
- Multiple endings attained depending on what characters are recruting.
- New Trinity Sight System allows players to see the story from 3 different perspectives.
- New partner system allows the gamer to pair up characters thus strengthening each other.
- New skill system increases battle performance and allows for more possibilities in combat.
- New redefined major battle system allows the player to actually use each of his characters in war.