Horde: The Citadel is an add-on to Horde: The Northern Wind. It is a strategy game based around Russian folk stories. The player starts with his/her hero and a few of his warriors setting up a settlement. In the course of the game the player develops his/her city economically and builds an army to protect his/her country from aggressive neighbors. In the beginning the player's army is small, and he/she tries to keep the fragile peace with other nations. But at length he/she becomes strong enough to attack and conquer those, who once were a menace to his/her land.
- Strong economic and military elements
- Diplomacy option: The player may live in peace with the neighbouring nations, declare war to any of them, or form an alliance with one of them to defeat another.
- Huge battles, in which over 400 units can take part
- Continuous gameplay: As distinct from other games of the same genre, Horde is not divided into a set of scenarios, each of which the player has to start from the very zero. The game is over only when all enemies are either destroyed or submitted to the player's forces.
- NEW units and structures
- NEW creatures that can become your powerful allies
- E-mail multiplayer option, and - for the first time HotSeat