Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » Eternal Sonata » a disrespect to chopin!!!! the truth about trusty bell » Post Reply

hideOriginal Post

Jun 15, 07 at 10:12amonlygraphics

chopin appears as playbale character as seen in the latest battle trailer in the offical site, which means he'll problely ...say get crush by a big monster, then revived by little polka with a phoenix down, and if you look into the trailer you can see chopin wacking the pig looking mob with his magic wand and doing a victory pose, awful, just awful!

i thought they had taken care with this game to preserving chopin's character and honoring him, which i intiallly thought was true after seeing the first trailer. until then i always thought this game would pay respect to chopin on one side and at the same time staying true to his character, legacy and not add anything that could otherwise comprimise chopin's reowned status as a musician. but now the whole game just seems awkard and out of place with the inclusion of chopin as a playable character, and here's why:

-why is chopin fighting?

chopin didn't had an optimistic view on the world, his sister's death, the arrorance of his wife,and the discrimations of the poors by the nobles had always lingers in his thoughts, some of his music is sorrowful poetry and a direct expression of how he felt about the current state of the world, but amidst all of this many have known chopin as a peacist, and he would never resort to violence just to ease his anger and frustration, but as you can see in the new trailer, as the pig monster is rushing towards them, chopin was readying himself for a fight; as he swings his baton/wand he appeared to have an angst of sorts, when the batlle was won he did a little ff7 style vitorious post and tipped his hat in a cool cowboy fashion. really, i'm not impress by this.

-the developers call this respect?

immediatly when i saw this, the first thing that came to my mind was, how are people going to react to this? espically,those in warsaw, france or poland, i'm sure the majority of them aren't gamers and problely won't notice this game, but does that mean his character, his work and his legacy can be harrass as such? what's next, mozart holding a buster sword chopping down chocobos?

a musician is a musician, and nothing is more dishonorable than giving them a gaint sword (in chopin's case, a gaint hammer in this game) and force them into warriors and fighting like savages for the selfish pleasures of gamers! the developers stated that they'll stay true to chopin's character and this game is *quote* a trubite to the great Frédéric chopin. clearly, atleast to me, they've gone too far and have ruin his good name; if this is respect, then god help us all.

-chopin can't die?

obviously the game centers on copin's imminent death as his dying hours approaches, placing him in battle not only takes away his mortality but also strips away of the shadow of death which always lingers around his character, seeing that polka is a healer, and the mass amount of hps chopin lost is enough to rule out the fact that a battle cannot be lost without a gameover screen, if so,does this mean it is possible for chopin to die in his own dreams???!!! if this is the case then that'll also mean a character can fall in battle, and if that's also the case, with polka as a healer it can be naturally assume that fallen characters can be revive? now doesn't this simply ruins all the suspense that's been building up since the beginning of the game, and again, strips chopin of his mortality?

would you get killed in your own dreams and be revived by someone in your dream? besides, when someone tries to inflict pain on you in your dream you'llusually wake up, and seeing chopin getting maul by that pig mob and losing alot of hps in the trailer is certainly not only an insult to chopin but also takes away the suspense of a dying chopin and severely reduced the theme of death,and sorrowful tone that's been building up since the beginning.

-what is *trusty bell*?

trusty bell is a trem, i believe refers to the bell towers of paris. i believe that in the game, chopin knows he's time is near, and problely knows he won't make it past midnight, i'm guessing he went to bed with that knowledge, and fell asleep with the thought of the bell ringing which signals his dying hours and the inevitable death, the trusty bell, is actually the bell in real life which always rings at midnight, and will always ring at midnight, hence it is reliable, which spawns the term "trusty", and thebell, which is a reliable countdown to his death.

i based my theory on the fact everything in this game, this dream world of which he created is a direct reincarnation of his thoughts and feelings of the real world; the close resemblance of polka and his late sister, the bread stealing children, the imperials which is the equivalent of the nobles, and the theme of *those with a heart of gold are the ones to suffer*, and if this is all correct, then the term *trusty bell* would be the bell towers of paris, or the old clock tower at his home, which is constantly shown in the trailer, and the trusty bell, again, is really just the paris bell towers.

chopin went into his dream with his sub-conscious telling him to listen for the sound of the bell, which problely acts as a count down watch to his death, and according to history, chopin drew his last breath in the late hours of october 17, which is another strong hint.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jun 25, 09 at 11:24am
Terranigma Fan

Yeah I also think this game is awesome and I also bought the soundtrack afterwards. I love the art style they went with and the combat is awesome. Although I don't know much about the composer I doubt this was in anyway disrespectful as this is a work of some fiction.

Also I loved the way they added real time photos to the cutscenes with the music that was awesome.

Jun 25, 09 at 10:19am
chopin_yay

you know, that's really not cool! i think this game had a really good concept! i got so engrossed in it, i beat it two days....as i type, i am watching the end of the game for the umpteenth time!

that aside! the graphics and soundtrack for this game were great! they did these wonderfully! the story was a bit lacking in plot and character development [both with single characters and relationships, hopefully the ps3 version is better in this respect] but there's plenty of music innuendos to make a music nerd like me happy. it's a wonderful last dream for a great musician and composer such as Chopin to have! you'd almost expect something like this from someone who devoted their life to music! and it's not as if the action and somewhat *bleep* cutscenes don't do Chopin justice! you get to learn aspects of his life while listening to his music! it really was educational! i ended up researching a lot about him after i finished the game! i bought all of his music!

oh well, i'm ranting and adding a bit more than two cents....

on a last note! his hat tipping was awesome! he was, by far, the best dressed person in this game! i want to cosplay as him now!

ahem, that aside, i've added what i wanted [well, not all of it, but i get my point across, i believe] but my favorite part of the ending is playing and i'm more concerned with that than this!

Nov 03, 08 at 12:22am
metal_liquid17

ok, first of all this is a FICTION GAME and second of all the way they create Chopin was pretty damn coooool!!!!!

Apr 28, 08 at 8:31am
meehan

Simple dont buy the game and dont play it if your that insulted and yes its only a game lol

Feb 15, 08 at 2:05am
RebeccaScene

It's a game, get over it...

Dec 29, 07 at 1:53pm
Principality

Now that I have actually played the game decently - around 16 hours in - I am going to try to address some of your points in more depth.

quote onlygraphics
-why is chopin fighting?

chopin didn't had an optimistic view on the world, his sister's death, the arrorance of his wife,and the discrimations of the poors by the nobles had always lingers in his thoughts, some of his music is sorrowful poetry and a direct expression of how he felt about the current state of the world, but amidst all of this many have known chopin as a peacist, and he would never resort to violence just to ease his anger and frustration, but as you can see in the new trailer, as the pig monster is rushing towards them, chopin was readying himself for a fight; as he swings his baton/wand he appeared to have an angst of sorts, when the batlle was won he did a little ff7 style vitorious post and tipped his hat in a cool cowboy fashion. really, i'm not impress by this.
Whilst it is true that Chopin did not exactly have a peachy view of life and the world in general, a lot of his music was shaped around the fact that he loved his homeland and was sadened that he could not return there, over his sickness, and also over other events that influenced his life. Whilst it's not fair to relate this to why he would be fighting, wouldn't you think it a fair call that in a dream that you had, you could become something that you would not normally be in real life? What you need to take into consideration, is that this world that Chopin is in, is one that he deems and considers to be a dream. As such, he can act in a manner slightly different to how he would act in the real world (i.e. by taking up arms against enemies). If you were suddenly thrust into a world full of monsters and magic would you just idly sit by and do nothing?

It's not fair to say that this does not suit Chopin at all, for the way in which he attacks the enemies is very graceful and resembles the way a conductor would wave a baton for an orchestra. There is nothing uncouth and vulgur about it at all. As for the victory pose, isn't Chopin allower a little vanity?

quote onlygraphics
-the developers call this respect?

immediatly when i saw this, the first thing that came to my mind was, how are people going to react to this? espically,those in warsaw, france or poland, i'm sure the majority of them aren't gamers and problely won't notice this game, but does that mean his character, his work and his legacy can be harrass as such? what's next, mozart holding a buster sword chopping down chocobos?

a musician is a musician, and nothing is more dishonorable than giving them a gaint sword (in chopin's case, a gaint hammer in this game) and force them into warriors and fighting like savages for the selfish pleasures of gamers! the developers stated that they'll stay true to chopin's character and this game is *quote* a trubite to the great Frédéric chopin. clearly, atleast to me, they've gone too far and have ruin his good name; if this is respect, then god help us all.
A musician is a story teller, a poet and also a minstrel. Chopin is all these things within the game as he is often found pondering to himself the meaning of his existence and what it is that he is actually doing, and where he is. There are also exerpts within the chapters that detail the life of Chopin in a way that paints an accurate portrayel of the key advents of his life, without deviating too much from the game. As such, not only would the player be satisfied (to find out more about who they are playing as), but also to those Chopin fans as it also spreads Chopin's history to a broader audience that may not have previously known of him.

The game is very respectful, and Chopin uses a baton/rapier, not a hammer.

quote onlygraphics
-chopin can't die?

obviously the game centers on copin's imminent death as his dying hours approaches, placing him in battle not only takes away his mortality but also strips away of the shadow of death which always lingers around his character, seeing that polka is a healer, and the mass amount of hps chopin lost is enough to rule out the fact that a battle cannot be lost without a gameover screen, if so,does this mean it is possible for chopin to die in his own dreams???!!! if this is the case then that'll also mean a character can fall in battle, and if that's also the case, with polka as a healer it can be naturally assume that fallen characters can be revive? now doesn't this simply ruins all the suspense that's been building up since the beginning of the game, and again, strips chopin of his mortality?

would you get killed in your own dreams and be revived by someone in your dream? besides, when someone tries to inflict pain on you in your dream you'llusually wake up, and seeing chopin getting maul by that pig mob and losing alot of hps in the trailer is certainly not only an insult to chopin but also takes away the suspense of a dying chopin and severely reduced the theme of death,and sorrowful tone that's been building up since the beginning.
By giving Chopin a status that gives him hit points does make him mortal, I don't see how that reflects any differently from the real world. He is human after all, he was lying in his death bed, and as we all know he died and the game does not deviate from this at all.

You say that someone awakens from a dream when they are inflicted with pain within it, however the one thing you are not stopping to consider is that this isn't a normal dream. Chopin isn't taking a few hours rest to nap and rejuvinate himself. He is on his death bed in the final hours of his life. If he were to suddenly awaken because he got poked by a sword, that would be more out of character than what we see displayed in the game. As such, once again, the game does not deviate from his character, or the situation that he's in.

Talking about the suspense of death is ludicrous. If Chopin gets knocked out in the game, and the rest of the party fall, it is game over - yes - where assumedly, he will meet his death. When a character loses HP in a game, and it reaches 0, it usually denotes being knocked out, not dead. It's a point of exhaustion were battling is no longer possible. That's why a character can still be with the party on 0 HP after battle. The party doesn't drag around a dead body. The character is with the party, but doesn't have the willpower or strength to battle any longer. Think logically here.

That's it, I think. I am not going to dispute anything you said about Trusty Bell, as there is nothing disputable there and the dream is reminiscent of the events of his life, hence the chapters being named after his famous musical pieces, and a lot of allusions being made throughout to aspects of Chopin's life.

So all in all, I think this game is a great homage, and tribute to a fantastic composer that will now continue to live on eternally, within a game, and thus never be forgotten.

Dec 23, 07 at 12:52pm
Commander Sheppard

to reply to the initial post. i once had a dream and died and was revived. i also went to purgatory and heaven.

Dec 14, 07 at 6:38pm
Principality

Besides, there are tributes to his musical pieces throughout.

Not only that, but the chapters are named after some of his musical scores, and within them the game cuts to a brief historical backstory on the life of Chopin.

I don't think there is any disrespect at all!

Oct 29, 07 at 12:32pm
Onyx Oblivion

ahhh. i love it when people take games too seriously. it is just a game. its not like the developers sat down at their "Anti-Chopin" meetings and said, "Mu ha ha! Let us make an RPG that disgraces Chopin! Mu ha ha!" The only bad thing about the game is that you have to keep switching characters in and out of your party to keep yourself frosty in case the next boss forces you to use a weak character.

Sep 21, 07 at 4:00pm
Shadow of Death

I don't think it dishonors him at all...

He is still a reserved, good mannered individual in the game, he isn't all of a sudden, an insane/kiddy character...

The art is good, the music is good, the story (thus far) is good enough (nice concept)...Where, in this, is he being dishonored? Play the damned game, before you accuse anybody of dishonoring his memory -_-