Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Music » OutKast » Post Reply

hideOriginal Post

Dec 28, 03 at 2:11amReedtucker

This rap duo comprises Dre (b. Andre Benjamin, 27 May 1975, Georgia, USA) and Big Boi (b. Antoine Patton, 1 February 1975, Savannah, Georgia, USA), who first met while studying at Atlanta's Tri-City high school. The duo signed a contract with

L.A. And Babyface's LaFace imprint prior to graduation, and immediately broke big with "Player's Ball", produced by TLC backroom gang Organized Noise. The track, which topped the Billboard rap chart for over six weeks in 1994, featured on the duo's platinum selling debut, Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik. Comprising tales of the streets of their local East Point and Decateur neighbourhoods, the album helped establish the south as a new force in hip-hop. "Elevators (Me & You)" became a major rap chart success in July 1996 and broke into the US Top 20, while the attendant ATLiens debuted at number 2 on the Billboard 200 album chart. The musically diverse and mystically inclined Aquemini repeated the success of its predecessor, debuting at US number 2 in October 1998.
In a nod to George Clinton's work with Funkadelic and Parliament, the duo's first album of the new millennium, Stankonia, purveyed a mindbending fusion of funk and hip-hop soundtracking a wickedly satirical examination of the state of the constitution. This superb album also featured the US chart-topping single "Ms. Jackson". The success of the album confirmed Outkast as a leading creative and commercial force on the international music scene. The follow-up comprised a two-disc package containing a solo album each from Dre and Boi. Despite this rather strained conceit, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below debuted at number 1 in the Billboard charts in October 2003.
I myself have been a fan of Outkast since they brought Stankonia out and think their music and albums continue to be good.
I'm currently listening to their new album myself and must say, it's a very enjoyable listen.

Does anyone else like Outkast?

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jan 15, 13 at 8:44am

Big Boi and Andre on the same track...sort of. Basically Big Boi's remixed Pink Matter with an extra verse, and while they're not able to play off each other cause Andres verse is from 6 months ago it's nice to hear them on the same track.

Dec 13, 12 at 7:42am

Objectum Sexuality was the only track that jumped out at me as super dope, that said, there was nothing I didn't like (oh wait, the 'show me your pussy' hook might be awkward in polite company, prudes!), feels like it could be a grower, there's a lot going on.

edit- bought Phantogram's Eyelid Movies, whoooosh, wish the lady sang more than the geezer, like Mouthful of Diamonds, anyhue that's a discussion for the Phantogram thread, which doesn't exist yet.

Dec 12, 12 at 3:47pm
orion chuzzlewitt

ZOMFG it's like this album was made especially for me! Like it's an amalgamation of all the best shit I've listened to over past few years, plus all the shit I should have been listening too. Like Lupin said, it definitely feels like an 'alternative' album with some rapping on it, rather than a hip-hop album with alternative elements, so I can definitely see it not being to everyone's taste (the few reviews I've read have been fairly mixed, though broadly positive).

Deluxe tracks are DEFINITELY worth a listen. Love the Theophilus London one, and Higher Res is pant-poopingly good.

Also, need to get onto Phantogram asap off the back of this.

Dec 11, 12 at 6:13am
Kid Clutch

Interview with Big Boi, he clarifies the situation and his status with Andre 3000 and ofc the promotion for the album. There's been a lot more people inquiring into it as of late due to 3stacks' absence from the LP and him apologizing to Big Boi on T.I.'s Sorry.

The sounds are just so eclectic I decided to buy tracks individually cause some I'm not feeling. My bangers are Shoes For Running, In the A, Gossip, She Hates Me and Mama Told Me. Overall great album which Boi sure took some liberties with.

Dec 11, 12 at 2:33am
The Shape

Wonder how many solo albums Big Boi needs before he gets his own thread?

Dec 9, 12 at 4:51am

I like that track with Little Dragon, sounds nice.

Dec 8, 12 at 5:18pm
Kid Clutch

It does sound pretty out there so far, when In The A leaked I went like "wtf" but it's actually a grower if you like the rhythm incorporated into it. I can't help but think 3stacks not dropping a verse for the album means they're holding out for something more(or it's more Jive copyright bullshit).

Video for She Hates Me confirmed by Cudder. Beast.

Dec 8, 12 at 9:22am
orion chuzzlewitt

Mama Told Me (Little Dragon version).

They performed this on Fallon the other day.

Dec 6, 12 at 7:51am

It's 'been out there' for a few days, the feedback I'm getting is it's like an alternative album... with rapping on it. I've managed to steer clear of all the tracks thus far but am excited nonetheless.

Lotta guests.

Dec 3, 12 at 8:27pm

*bleep*ing beast!

Oh my, just... oh my.

I can't wait for this album, like dayum.