Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Web Coding » PhP/jquary » Post Reply

hideOriginal Post

Jan 24, 12 at 4:34pmKevin-needs help

Hi Folks,

I am currently project lead on a large scale idea at a small graphic/web design place.

What I am looking for is someone to help me put all the pieces together. I need a consult maybe. Possibility for pay here. I need to create a website that will allow clients to create an account that will make them a single web page and then be able to post certain items on their page. I also need a link for that page just created to be posted on a parent page (possibly up to 3 parent pages)

The site structure is:

Main page that links to - regions (areas within my state( eventually it will start with states then go to region)) that page then points to Types of businesses (i.e grocery stores, salons, etc.) which then would link to businesses of that category. and on those pages would be my clients pages that they can edit.

I know HTML/CSS dabble in PhP (can understand and figure things out). I know (least i think i know) that i need jquary for all this to work. I dont know a lot of back end coding languages but im fairly smart and can understand what you tell me i need to do to make it work.

I need my clients to be able to login once their account is created and be able to update their info and update their single page info.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, even a finger pointing in a direction where i could get some help would be great.

Thank you in advance,
Kevin

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jan 19, 15 at 10:17pm
tekmosis

Yes. I don't see why you wouldn't want to use a framework though.

Jan 15, 15 at 3:59pm
gavind

Bumping this up please. Is there any way of making this work without a framework?

Jan 25, 12 at 9:12pm
Enhance

Kweb, what kind of timeline for completion are you aiming for? If it is something that needs to be completed quickly then definitely go with a framework like tecmo is mentioning. A framework will allow you to work so much faster then doing it yourself from scratch. Also, frameworks are going to have built in security functions that can be used and if your client data is important then you are going to want it to be secure and for a beginner that would be hard to accomplish without a framework.

Jan 25, 12 at 7:14pm
tekmosis

If you're going to try out Symfony make sure your server is running PHP 5.3.2 or higher.
I also suggest reading through http://symfony.com/doc/current/quick_tour/the_big_picture.html
and using their documentation http://symfony.com/doc/current/index.html
They have links at the bottom for their mailing list, irc channel, and forum.

Kweb, if you're a novice at PHP then Symfony might be a bit daunting.

Jan 25, 12 at 6:58pm
Kweb06

Well a raise would give me happiness and enjoyment and completing this project would probably get me just that. I like to code myself however i need to accomplish this and if not coding it all from ground 0 is the way to go then thats what i need to do. I am currently uploading sympony to give it a try.

Jan 25, 12 at 6:52pm
Fluroclad

quote BeZ
I have honestly never worked with a PHP framework before, always preferred the idea of doing all the coding myself.
I agree. I prefer to code myself, it gives me enjoyment and happiness.

Jan 25, 12 at 6:30pm
BeZ

I have honestly never worked with a PHP framework before, always preferred the idea of doing all the coding myself.

Jan 25, 12 at 6:22pm
Kweb06

I can make a user accounts and the stuff i described in the original post by using a framework?

Jan 25, 12 at 6:08pm
Fluroclad

kweb06 I have little understanding and understanding on how Americans location stuff works e.g States, Zips. So I'm probably not the best person to ask this sort of stuff.

Jan 25, 12 at 6:08pm
tekmosis

The path you're taking him through is not practical at all. The amount of time it will take to help him build it from the ground up will end up costing him more in money and time in the long run, as well as resulting in an inferior product.

You guys should be directing him to use something like a CMS or even Wordpress which can be modified and extended to suit certain needs. Kweb06, I haven't read thoroughly read through what you want but I can tell you that starting out "from scratch" is not the way to go.

If a CMS or Wordpress doesn't work then he should have been told to use a framework such as Symfony or Zend; both of these btw already have the working parts for a user system and cover you for security. Heck, you could even use the Facebook API rather than having your own user database and have people login using their FB account; however this depends on your target audience as not everyone uses FB.

If you end up designing your own site you should look at Twitter's Bootstrap CSS framework.

Best of luck with your site!