Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » Very Loud Screeching Noise Coming From Motherboard » Post Reply

hideOriginal Post

Nov 7, 11 at 6:10amjdrole

Hey guys. I recently tried reapplying thermal paste to my cpu, but ended up failing to find my thermal paste. I didn't take my cpu out of my motherboard, or even remove anything other than the power cord to my psu. After plugging back in the power cord and turning on my computer, I was unable to get my computer to post. It only booted up to the asus motherboard screen (the one where it gives options, like delete to enter setup). I tried troubleshooting several things, like taking out and replacing my ram, using only 1 gpu, and even running my computer with my ssd or hdd (and even both at once) disabled, but no dice. When I thought it was possibly something wrong with my gpu's, I attempted to only use my on board gpu to boot up my computer. For whatever reason, that caused a very loud screeching noise to come from my motherboard (almost sounds like it's coming directly from my cpu itself). I then plugged back in my gpu's, and tried booting again, but the screeching noise persisted. Now, I have a computer that won't post, and is emitting a very loud screeching noise. I'm fairly certain that it's not my cpu frequency that's causing problems, since I tried removing the cmos battery to reset the bios. Anyone have any idea what could possibly be wrong? For reference, my specs are as follows:
AMD Phenom X6 1090T
Kingston HyperX DDR3 2333mhz ram 2x2GB
2x ATI Radeon 5870 Eyefinity 6 edition
60GB Corsair SATAII SSD
1TB HDD

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jul 5, 12 at 3:32pm
ashantiqua

havent read any of the posts here, just here to say this - it may be of help:

could be capacitor squeal from the GPU under a heavy load (i have a gtx 470 that does this) and / or a PSU under load (i have a 610w PSU that also does this).

both of these are actually normal, but if its loud, something could be off or weakening.

with the GPU, keep an eye on core / mem frequencies while gaming. if the GPU is having voltage issues under stress, and the GPU keeps its original frequencies, this could yield graphical glitches and the like. the GPU may also self-adjust frequencies mid-game, youll notice by a large pause in the game, then noticeably decreased performance.

check the PSU for voltage fluctuations. minor fluctuations are ok, big ones are bad and are the symptoms of an ailing PSU.

Jul 5, 12 at 2:39pm
hiigaran

sounds like the PSU is on its last legs, then. if thats the case, nothing you can do, other than to replace it.

Jul 5, 12 at 2:01pm
Sargentjuice

quote hiigaran
quote Sargentjuice
was just playing a game on my computer with friends and then a loud screeching noise occurs but when I go of of the game it stops. (btw the game is minecraft) so yeah any ideas of how I can fix it [/div]
define 'screeching'. to me, screeching is a high pitched noise similar to when metal scrapes on metal, but for all i know, what you think is screeching could just be a very noisy fan. open your computer and watch it while playing. once it starts to make that noise, listen and pinpoint the origin of the sound.
Yeah I think its coming from my power supply and It has gotten louder and it is constant know I have no idea what to do D:

Jul 5, 12 at 12:36pm
hiigaran

quote Sargentjuice
was just playing a game on my computer with friends and then a loud screeching noise occurs but when I go of of the game it stops. (btw the game is minecraft) so yeah any ideas of how I can fix it [/div]
define 'screeching'. to me, screeching is a high pitched noise similar to when metal scrapes on metal, but for all i know, what you think is screeching could just be a very noisy fan. open your computer and watch it while playing. once it starts to make that noise, listen and pinpoint the origin of the sound.

Jul 5, 12 at 9:31am
Sargentjuice

was just playing a game on my computer with friends and then a loud screeching noise occurs but when I go of of the game it stops. (btw the game is minecraft) so yeah any ideas of how I can fix it

Nov 20, 11 at 3:38am
jdrole

Well color me failure. Figured out a few days ago what was wrong with my desktop. My psu uses 4 connectors to power my 2 gpus- 2 of them being 4 pin, 1 being a 6 pin, and 1 being 4 pin with a little 2 pin extension. Well on one of the 4 pin/2 pin extension cords, the 2 pin extension has a groove on it where it fits along with the 4 pin cord only when they are inserted at the same time. Well every time I was troubleshooting my gpu's I plugged in the 4 pin connector and THEN the 2 pin. The 2 pin connector was oh-so-slightly sticking out, so it was causing the screeching noise. And when I was testing just 1 gpu at a time, I was always using the 1 4 pin/2 pin extension. So, Vagabond, you were right again I think. To think that more closely looking at the power connectors would had solved my problems right away makes me feel incompetent

Nov 13, 11 at 4:50am
jdrole

Well they can only test if my cards are dead. Its a tech school so our IT department is pretty well equipped lol.

Nov 13, 11 at 1:30am
D-G

Well, when I RMAed my HD5870, the card Overclockers UK sent back as a replacement was a HD6950, which seems to be working just fine for me.

Mine doesn't allow for eyefinity though. But it does have 2GB of ram.

Your school would do that?

Nov 12, 11 at 8:21pm
jdrole

1. yes
2. yes
3. yes
I've also already tried plugging them in 1 at a time and switching PCI-E slots, but it continued to screech :/
I'm gonna have to wait I think until Monday at the earliest to have my school's IT desk test my cards to see if they're dead. I'm really hoping that's not the case because those cards now cost over 500$ each on newegg (got them on sale for 250 each). If that is the case, and both my cards somehow died at the same time, could someone recommend me a comparable graphics card? I'd prefer to get a card with 2GB vram.

Nov 12, 11 at 12:56am
D-G

So it posts with the graphics cards removed?

But with them in it it refuses to post?

And with them in but not powered, it screeches AND refuses to post?

Try putting the graphics cards into the PCI-e slots one at a time and see what happens. (with power, obviously)