Originally launched on coin-op arcade machines, Super Monaco Grand Prix quickly established itself as one of the top arcade racers of its time. Due to its success, Sega decided to release a home version of the popular racer on their Genesis/Mega Drive system, incorperating a 'Championship' mode in addition to the arcade style that was featured on the coin-ops.
Monaco Grand Prix is an arcade racer which also includes a season mode featuring 16 fictional formula one grand prix teams all competing for the sport's highest prize: the formula one world championship.
Starting your career in a mid-level team, Minarae, it is your task to challenge other drivers and attempt to win drives with better teams in order to make yourself more competitive. Should you win the championship at the end of a full grand prix season, you must then defend your title sucessfully against tougher competitors.
- Arcade mode, racing against other drivers and the clock ensuring you don't drop below an ever decreasing position limit.
- Complex and varying circuits from around the world, modeled on the actual ones used for the 1990 season.
- A new championship mode that was not featured on the coin-op versions.
- 16 different teams each with their own stats which you can drive for during the season.
- Automatic, 4 speed and 7 speed manual gearbox choice before each race.