Nintendo's line of Mario Sports games continues with Super Mario Strikers, a new soccer game thats unlike any other soccer game. You will have items or attacks to unleash on your oppenents. Play with all of your favourite Mario characters as captain's, plus additional sidekicks like toad and koopa! With all these features you take soccer to the extreme!
- Electric Fence: In every stadium, there's an electric fence that surrounds the playing field (as a result, there are no throw-ins), shocking anyone who is slammed into it.
- Power Ups: There are many power ups (à la Mario Kart) to pick up and use against opponents, such as Bob-ombs and Chain Chomps. Tackling an opponent without the ball will earn the opponent a power up. Releasing a charged shot will earn your team a power up. Each team captain has a special kind of power up. For example, Donkey Kong's bananas are much larger than those of the other captains. The power ups can be turned off in the gameplay options.
- Super Strikes: Super strikes are charged shots that can be only used by the team captain and result in a goal worth two points. To activate them, press and hold the B button. Once activated, the player must press the B button when the moving white line goes over each of the two dark green lines in a golf-like meter. Hitting the left mark greatly increases the size of the right mark, and hitting the right mark will score the goal. Hitting both marks result in a perfect strike with extra animations. Missing the right mark will cause the ball to be caught, bounced off, or reflected by the goalie. The super strikes can be turned off in the gameplay options.
- Bowser, King of Interference: Bowser appears in the game, but is not playable. Instead, he drops in randomly to wreck havoc on the field by breathing fire, stomping on players, tilting the field, and shooting items. The Bowser setting can be turned off in the gameplay options.
- The Stands: The stands are filled with Toads, Koopa Troopas, Yoshis, and Birdos. In the intro, the stands are also filled with Piantas, Nokis, Ukkikis, Paragoombas, and Bumptys.
This game is also known as Mario Smash Football in Europe.