The year was 1985, approximately two years after the Video Game Crash of 1983. Many thought the industry was done, and blame was being pointed to a number of different individuals within the industry.
Then, a pair of plumbers from Brooklyn arrived on the scene with a new, platforming adventure. One that would go on to sell over 40 Million Copies worldwide, holding the title of Most Video Games Sold for three decades until it was dethroned by Wii Sports.
The game: Super Mario Bros., where Bowser, the leader of the Koopa Troop, has kidnapped Princess Peach and turned her people into stones, bricks, and statues. Mario and Luigi must go through 8 Worlds to save Princess Peach's people, and eventually, defeat Bowser and rescue the Princess.
After the release of Super Mario Bros. and the NES/Famicom, one thing was clear: the Video Game Industry wasn't going anywhere, and has been going strong since!
 Game Play
Game play consists of eight worlds, each of which containing four stages. Each stage side-scrolls left to right without being able to scroll backwards in a stage, featuring a variety of different obstacles, enemies and surprises.
Each stage is timed, and at the end of each stage is a flagpole. The higher Mario or Luigi up Mario are when they come into contact with the flagpole, the more points are scored, and should the last digit on the timer be at a 1, 3, or 6, fireworks will go off.
The stages are as follows: the first stage introduces a set of new challenges. The second stage can be one of three possibilities: an Underground stage, an Underwater stage, or a stage that challenges a different set of skills. The third stage is always a platform stage in the sky, which leads to a castle stage to close out the world.
Each of the castle stages include their own challenges and obstacles, including Podoboos and Firebars, even the occasional maze! Get past Bowser and hit the axe to drop the Koopa King into the lava to clear the castle! But be careful: from World 6 onward Bowser starts throwing hammers along with spitting fireballs!
- 32 Stages Streched Out over 8 Worlds
- Collect powerups to increase your chances! A Super Mushroom will make Mario grow into Super Mario (or Super Luigi), while the Fire Flower will enable Mario or Luigi to shoot fireballs to defeat their enemies! Don't get hit or else you'll lose your powerups!
- The Starman will grant a temporary period of invincibility. Take advantage of this period of time to run down every enemy in your way!
- A Second Adventure to play through after completing 8-4! This lasts until the power is shut off.
- Unique fun for 1 or 2 Players.
 Hardware Info
- NES & GBA: 1 Game Cartridge
- Wii & 3DS: Virtual Console