Ratchet and Clank are searching the galaxy for some missing heroes, when the duo is captured by Gleeman Vox. A "Deadlock" collar is put on Ratchet to prevent him from escaping, and he is forced to enter Vox's combat show called DeadZone. Ratchet has to complete various missions and objectives to keep up the show's ratings while trying to figure out a way to escape. Clank, who is now a mission engineer, will aid Ratchet over the radio in his journey.
In this installment, Ratchet will be running, jumping, and shooting with a number of other characters while competing on a combat-based reality TV show. Focused heavily on combat and weaponry, this installment of the series promises to break all barriers yet again in the platformer genre. 5 different mechanical vehicles will open up more gameplay styles, and bots add to Ratchet's arsenal. Gameplay is mission based and will occur in various arena-style atmospheres. A new feature to the game is that you can play with a friend locally throughout the entire story mode. In online gaming, there will be new gameplay modes in addition to the ones in Up Your Arsenal (5 total), as well as more customization, maps, and different competition opportunities. Instead of the massive weapon collection that games are used to, there will be only 10 weapons, but these weapons will be able to get many modifacations that lead to infinate possibilities. Another weapon addition is the option to weild two weapons at once.
- 10 weapons with various modifications, which leads to infinite possibilities.
- Customizable bots with commands, interchangeable parts and textures.
- Ability to play two-player split screen co-op Story Mode.
- Improved menu/info bar and styles.
- 5 vehicles (including a tank, hoverbike, and spider-bot).
- More realistic, rough graphics.
- Dual weapons.
- All-new Conquest mode, where players are involved in a game of base wars, earning points for capturing enemy nodes and defending yours.
- Many returning characters from previous R&C games.
- New morph mode allows players to turn any weapon they have into a variation of a past morph gun, transforming enemies into chickens, sheep, ducks, and a new mystery barnyard animal.
- Progressive scan, improved bot AI, and supplementary moves for enemies such as cover crouches.
- Players can use tag-team tactics now that will allow them to freeze one enemy with an ice ray and then blow him apart with a napalm gun, for example.
This game is also known as:
- Ratchet: Gladiator in Europe
- Ratchet: Gladiator in Australia
- Ratchet & Clank 4th: Giri Giri Ginga no Giga Battle in Japan