This walkthrough was originally written for Prince of Persia 2: The Shadow and the Flame on the SNES, but the walkthrough is still applicable to the PC version of the game.
Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame
Version : 1.0
Date : 2007-01-26
Console : Super Nintendo (SNES)
E-mail : email@example.com
GameFAQ ID : zurd33
Copyright (c) 2007 Zurd - GNU Free Documentation License
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document
under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2
or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation;
with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover
Texts. A copy of the license is available at :
After playing this game a few hours and getting stuck at many places, I decided
it was time to get on the internet and find a walkthrough to help me so that I
can stop cursing on this frustrating game. I did found a few guides on it,
but it was only for the DOS version which is different than the SNES one,
especially the level 12. So these guides where not helping that much, in fact,
they just confuse me more. I had to stop using them and continue cursing. I
finally manage to finish it and had the idea of a walkthrough for the SNES
version and here it is.
Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame is an arcade style game, much
like the first one. For a complete introduction, see the Wikipedia article on
it in the Links section.
This game packs a lot of bugs everywhere, it really seem like there was no one
to test it. This walkthrough will consider that the game is bug free and we
won't use any bugs to make our life easier to finish the game ;-)
Run : left or Right
Climb up or down : Up or Down near a ledge
Crouch : Down
Move only one step : Hold A + Left or Right
Air jump : B or Up
Forward jump : B + Left or Right
Big jump : Run + B
Draw your sword : Y
Sheath your sword : Y after drawing your sword
Attack 1 : Y after drawing your sword
Attack 2 : Up after drawing your sword
Change your stance : A + Left or Right after drawing your sword
Crawl : Down near a cracking wall or a blade
Show remaining time : LEFT button
Reset the game : START then SELECT
Here's the list of enemies and the best way to defeat them.
Guard : Attack with Up
Skeleton : Alternate between Y and Up
Snake : Attack with Y
Birdman : Alternate between Y and Up
Flying head : Attack with Up
In this walkthrough, we will only acquire 4 Life Potions, you could get a
maximum of 5, but it's not worth it to cover more grounds to get one more.
Level 1 - Easy - No Life Potion
- Kill the guard on the left and the other one after him then go left.
- Kill 2 guards here and continue.
- Kill another guard, jump to the other roof, turn around, draw your sword, go
left to the other screen and kill the guard.
- Jump to the other roof and go left.
- Kill 2 guards, turn around by holding A and pressing Right and kill yet
- Climb up, go left, jump again and go left.
- Drop down to the screen below and just run left, ignore the guard.
- At the end of the bridge, jump to grab the boat.
Level 2 - Easy - No Life Potion
- The easiest level of all, just go left and you'll see 5 tiles, one with a
symbol with it. When you step on a blank tile, it'll disappear after you leave
it. Step on all blank tile, jump to the left at the end and the rock will move
so that you can enter the cavern (open sesame!). Hold the A button and move
slowly to get from one tile to another to make it easier.
Level 3 - Easy - 2 Life Potions available
- Start by going to the left, jump over the trap, then the hole and at the end
- Open the gate by making the floor crack and fall at the right.
- Go left and drop down.
- Jump to avoid the spikes in the wall and as soon as you get on your feet,
draw your sword and kill the skeleton.
- Go right and avoid another trap, climb and drop the floor just at the right
of the gate to open it and exit.
Level 4 - Easy - 1 Life Potion available
- Go right and jump over to grab the ledge. Let go to grab the next ledge
then climb up.
- Jump to the left and drink the Flying Potion.
- Drop down to the bottom of this pit, since you can now plane for a few
seconds you won't take any damage.
- You should now see the exit door.
- Run to the right to hit the switch and go through the door.
- Continue right and after the door you'll come across a trap, never hit it,
just jump over.
- Run completely to the right and climb up to step on the trap that open the
- Come back and enter the exit door.
Level 5 - Medium - 2 Life Potions available
- Go right, climb up and make only one step to the right.
- Forward jump, draw your sword and kill the skeleton, it might take a few
- Jump over the lava, climb up, do a forward jump to avoid the floor that will
crack and fall, if it does the second gate will open but will close after you
hit the other trap to open the first gate.
- Step on the trap in front of you, don't mind the damage.
- Jump over the hole and proceed to the right.
- Run in the middle of the room, after the trap is gone and one floor has
fallen, continue going to the right.
- Head right again, climb up and go right.
- Jump over to the right, climb this ledge and drink the potion.
- Jump now to the left, climb and jump again to the right.
- Climb, drink the potion, jump to the left and drop down by grabbing the
- Jump to the right, hit the switch, go through the gate and continue right.
- Hop on the ledge and go right to avoid the lava.
- Jump over the spikes in the walls.
- Climb the two first ledges, turn around and climb again.
- Jump over to the right and climb 2 times to reach the floor that will crack
and fall, thus hitting the switch below to open the gate at the left.
- Proceed through the gate and jump over the hole, continue left.
- Just before the walls which contains spikes, climb up and get a Life Potion!
- Go right and listen carefully. Do some small steps until you hit the trap,
turn around, do one small step to the left, turn around, forward jump to get on
the small ledge, forward jump again, you'll make the floor crack and fall,
hitting a switch below and opening the gate at the right.
- Now just climb up and pass through the gate.
- Do a big jump to go over the trap, climb up, turn around and climb 2 times
- This bridge is a tricky part of the game. You'll have to switch places with
the skeleton and stay on the bridge, at this point the bridge will shake and
collapse. This will get rid of the invulnerable skeleton and will open the
gate at the left. This will take more than one try to get it right, but, at
least, the checkpoint is just before the bridge. The best way I've found to
pass this, is to stay on the right at first and to wait for the skeleton to
come, at a precise moment, keep heading left until you switch places with the
skeleton. Then position yourself as far as you can on the left while making
sure the bridge is still shaking, then keep attacking with Y and when you see
the bridge collapse, press Left to grab the ledge. To make it a little bit
harder, you can only receive 2 hits, you'll need at least 2 full Life Potions
in your Health bar to proceed.
- Note that after this is done, you just lost your sword.
- Now, go to the left and take the potion, jump over the trap and the hole and
- Just at the left, there's a skeleton with 2 traps that do some damage. What
you need to do is to run over the 2 traps and the skeleton and jump at the end.
You should get 2 hits by doing this, one for each trap. This is why you need
at least 3 full Life Potions in your Health bar.
- To finish the level, hit the switch at the left, drop down, go on the mat
and crouch to have a fun ride on a magic carpet!
Level 6 - Easy - No Life Potion
- There is one Life Potion in this level, but it is quite hard to get and
there's no way out after you take it so don't mind the Life Potion in this
- Head to the left jumping over a switch that close the gate, if you do step
on it, just go to the right to die and start over again.
- After you pass through the gate, make a big jump and grab the ledge at the
- Drop down, duck and crawl into the wall.
- Here on the floor is our new sword, hurray!
- Climb at the left and try to climb again 3 times to make the floor crack and
- Now climb and jump over to the right, draw your sword and kill the flying
- Hop on the ledge at the left, watch out since this floor will fall, same for
the other one.
- Go on and climb until you get to the very top.
- Go left, grab the ledge and climb down until you get to the bottom where
there's a flying head.
- Kill the heads, go left, kill another head, hit one of the two switches that
are in this room and choose an exit door, both will lead to the level 7.
Normally, each door should lead you to a different start door in level 7, but
not in the SNES version, they are both identical.
Level 7 - Easy - 1 Life Potion available
- Go left and crawl under the hole.
- Just continue heading left and you'll fall below.
- Kill the flying head, continue left, watch out there's a hole.
- Kill another flying head and take the Life Potion.
- Turn around, run to the right and jump before you switch screen, else you'll
fall in the hole.
- Climb up from where you came from and crawl again in the hole.
- Hit a switch, go through the gate that is opening and continue left
- Watch for the blade in the next screen, you'll have to crawl under it.
- Drop down, kill the flying head, continue left until you get to a potion and
a close gate and climb up on the above screen.
- Hit the switch and go right, wait for the gate to open and make a big jump
to the right to grab the ledge.
- Climb up and continue right.
- Get between the columns and hit the floor above to make the floor fall.
- Drink the potion.
- Climb up, prepare your sword now since the snake at the next screen is near
- Kill the snake and crawl under the blade.
- Go up, kill the flying head and continue to the top until you see the sky.
- Go Left by climbing up, kill the flying head and continue to the left until
you hit the gate.
- After bouncing off the wall, the floor below will fall and you'll grab the
- Let go and head right, avoid the blade, hit the switch, come back and exit
Level 8 - Easy - 1 Life Potion available
- Quickly go left to avoid the snake and drop down to the screen above.
- In this screen go left where there's a hole.
- This is the shortcut of the level, at first it might be tricky to do it
right, but with a few practices you'll get it. And the start of the level is
just near, so if you die, try again.
- First, crawl in the hole but don't change screen. Just crawl one step at a
- When you change screen, you have to stand up, turn around to the right, draw
your sword, turn around to the left by holding A and pushing Left, wait about 1
second and kill the snake. Sheath your sword, crawl and pass the blade. You
should practice this combinations of moves first before going into the hole to
get it right.
- Then it's just a matter of going left, picking up a new blade on your way,
jumping over the hole just after the new blade.
- Continue going left, either by running all the way until you get to the exit
door or taking your time by killing all the flying heads.
Level 9 - Medium - No Life Potion
- This level can be hard since you'll have to do a lot of jump to reach the
horse, but if you know the proper sequence and do it slowly, it'll be easy.
- Start by going left and jumping over the hole, continue left.
- Climb up and head to the next screen on the left.
- Get to the edge and just do a forward jump to grab the next ledge.
- Climb and the floor will fall, climb again.
- Make one step to the left and do two forward jumps.
- Run and jump as far as you can, you might grab the next ledge or just get on
top of it.
- Make sure you're standing just before the floor that will crack before you.
- Two forward jump, one small step and one last forward jump.
- Another fun ride but with a horse this time!
Level 10 - Easy - 1 Life Potion available
- This level can be long if you follow the regular path, but with the shortcut
it's so easy that it's laughable.
- Go right and kill the two birdmans.
- Continue, climb, drink the potion and go to the screen at the right.
- Here you'll see some spikes in the wall and two big statues. Just before
these statues the floor can crack and fall. What you need to do is to run and
jump so that you fall right between the two statues without touching the floor
before it. It might take a few tries to do it since you can jump too short or
- Once you've done it, make a small step to the right and do a simple forward
jump, then climb and head right. Doing this you won't be able to see yourself,
so just do these moves blindly.
- Now just run to the right completely, you'll make one floor fall that will
open the exit door and you'll fall from a trap, right at the exit door.
level 11 - Hard - 1 Life Potion available
- This a long level, so let's start now, head left, hit the switch, climb 3
times and you'll change screen.
- Climb up, do 2 small steps to the left, some spikes will go out from the
wall, turn around, one small step to the right and climb up.
- From where you are climb up again 3 times to make the floor fall and another
time to actually climb up, hit the switch on the left and head to the next
screen on the right.
- Make a big jump by running, climb up 3 times and go right.
- Get between the 2 columns and hit the floor above to make the floor fall.
- Climb up the left ledge and make one small step to the left, then hit the
floor above 3 times, you'll see a floor fall on the right. We need it to reach
another Life Potion.
- Climb up above and go right, watch out for the blade and move slowly before
- Drop down completely and go left to drink the Life Potion.
- Now you have to climb up, do a forward jump and climb up again to the screen
above before the moving wall crush you.
- Head left to the next screen.
- Make sure you're standing as much as you can on the right and with these 3
pieces of floor, do a big jump by running to the left, if you jump just at the
last moment, you'll be able to grab the ledge, else you'll drop, die and you'll
have to start from the beginning of the level (sigh).
- Hopefully you'll make it, once you do, just climb up and do a forward jump
to the left, you'll make a floor crack and fall and avoid the spikes in the
wall if you were to continue running.
- Just climb up to the screen above and continue again to the other screen
- Go right and just after the two statues, hit the switch.
- Come back to the screen at the left, then the screen above and go left in
the middle where the gate is opening.
- Kill the birdman and climb up 3 times on the ledge at the right.
- Go right and up by making the floor crack and fall.
- Here's the exit door but we're still not finish, hit the switch at the right
and go through the gate at the left.
- Kill the birdman and note the position of the first switch you hit when you
entered this screen. This switch close the gate at the right and when we come
back, we'll have to make sure we don't step on it.
- Now jump over the hole at the left since this floor is a trap.
- Climb up on the screen above by making the floor crack and fall.
- Head right, avoiding the blade and go up 3 times, again making the floor
crack and fall.
- Go the the right, slowly and at the next screen, jump over the hole,
- Climb up, then down and go through the floor that will crack and fall.
- Hit the switch, avoid the blade, proceed to the next screen on the left.
- Do a big jump to the left and head left.
- Change screen to the left slowly to avoid the blade.
- Here make a simple forward jump to the left so that you can land in the hole
and avoid the spikes in the wall at the complete left.
- Drop down, jump over the hole where the floor is a trap.
- Do one small step to the right and do one forward jump to miss the switch
that I pointed just before, if you do hit it, the gate will close and you'll be
- Proceed right and exit the level.
Level 12 - Hard - 1 Life Potion available
- Alright, here's the longest and hardest level of all. It's ironic because
the exit is just at your right, but we'll have to make a long detour to open
- First go left through the gate by making sure you don't step on the switch
that will close the gate.
- Climb up 2 times and let's call this position A.
- Here you'll have to do some practices for later. Jump to make the floor
crack and fall and climb up.
- Just the next screen at the right, there's some floor that crack and fall,
but you can't just go there and fall with the floor, else you'll die. What you
need to do is run to the right, then turn around, you'll automatically, grab
the ledge while the floor fall. Make sure your timing is right and that you
can do it everytime, the second time we come here you'll have to do it and if
you fail and die, you'll have some major grounds to cover again. This floor
that fall will hit a switch below, opening up the gate above. Let's call this
switch : B.
- Alright, go back to position A and don't touch this switch for now.
- Go left and you'll be in a room with a birdman. We now have 4 gates to
- Jump over to the left, get between the 2 columns and keep hitting the floor
above so that 2 floors will fall, opening our 1st gate.
- Jump back to the right and climb up, here in the middle, in the left is the
4 gates where we need to go, but we still have 3 gates left.
- Keep climbing up completely and make the floor crack and fall at the right,
this will open up the 2nd gate.
- Climb down 2 times and just at the right, make the floor crack and fall for
our 3rd gate.
- Go down completely and kill the birdman.
- Right there on the floor is the 4th switch for the gates, step on it, climb
up to the 4 gates and make a big jump to avoid the spikes in the wall.
- Head to the left, slowly.
- Jump as far as you can to the left. It doesn't matter if you die here,
after jumping you will have pass the checkpoint and start exactly where you
wanted to jump (a nice bug isn't?).
- Drink the Life Potion, make the floor fall on a switch and drop down by
grabbing the ledge.
- Just right from where you are right now, is the room where you killed a
birdman, the thing is that if you died in the big jump just before, the birdman
will be there again, so be prepared.
- Go right and back to position A, then make the floor fall on the switch B.
- Head back to the 4th gates but go right this time, slowly.
- When you enter the screen you'll see a gate opening.
- Jump over the hole since it's a trap.
- Continue to the right in the next screen.
- Make a big jump over to the right and pass through the gate before it close.
- You're now at another checkpoint and you sure will need it.
- Standing just after the gate, on a switch, you have to make a big jump to
the right, as impossible as it may looks like, it's the only way to go. At
least if you die you can start over from here. You might want to stand as near
as you can from the gate before jumping. This is only all about timing, try
different time when pressing B for jumping.
- Once you finally do it, draw your sword and head to the right to kill the
- Make a big jump to the right and hit the switch at the same time to open the
- Then, you'll have to jump to the left to grab the ledge, thus avoiding the
spikes. So don't jump too far.
- Go left and drop down to hit the switch that open the exit door, then go
right, slowly, just 2 small steps, grab the ledge and drop down.
- While dropping down, hold A and as soon as your standing up just go left so
you can avoid the birdman.
- Crawl under the blade, go left, kill another birdman, get past 2 gates while
avoiding a switch that close the gate.
- Continue, slowly, to avoid 2 blades, drink the potion and climb up to the
screen above by demolishing the floor.
- Your now back at the beginning, just go to the switch B and grab the ledge,
but this time, let go.
- Go right to the exit door, finally!
In this level, if you go right completely, there's a special potion, if you
drink it, a small guy will come out and push a switch at the right. I have
completely no idea what is the purpose of this, with my walkthrough you can
finish this level without it.
Level 13 - Easy - No Life Potion
- Last level and quite easy, first hit the switch at the right and pass
through the gate at the left.
- Crawl under the blade and continue left.
- Jump over the hole and at the next screen you'll have to kill 3 birdmans,
one by one.
- Jump to the left, at the next screen kill the birdman that appear behind
- Continue left and at the 2 big statues, climb up.
- At the next screen, you'll see a gate open and this is where you need to go,
make a big jump to get there.
- Still going left, kill 2 birdmans and jump over a hole.
- You'll come across a potion, but don't drink it.
- At the next screen, you'll see another birdman, don't fight him and let him
kill you. As weird as it may sound, that's the way.
- After you die, wait, then your shadow will rise. Make sure you don't push
START, else you'll have to start again ;)
- Jump to the left to get the flame, you can now shoot a fireball with the
- Make some small steps to the right and do a forward jump to grab the ledge,
- Head to the right and make a big jump over the hole. This one might be
tricky. To make it easier, the first time you come this way, don't let the
floor fall, that way your shadow will have more ground to land.
- Finally, proceed to the right, shoot a fireball and you'll be yourself back
again. Take the exit door and congratulations!
To skip a stage :
Start the game, go into the Options menu and hold D A X and the Left button, if
it works, the clouds in the background will move faster. After you started a
new game, push SELECT to skip the current stage.
If you finish the game and check all your passwords, you can easily find a
pattern in it so you can create your own passwords. Here's what you should
Passwords are exactly 6 letters long.
Passwords only use the letters BCDFGHJKLMNPRTVW.
Each letter is a value from 0 to 15, in programmation, the first value is 0,
so treat it like a 1.
And the first four letters controls a piece of the game :
1st letter : Level, from 0 to 12
2nd letter : Life bottle, from 0 to 7
3rd letter : Time remaining, last digit, from 0 to 9
4th letter : Time remaining, first digit, from 0 to 9
5th letter : Validation, add 1, 2 and 3 together, then modulo 16. Or let's say
after you add 1, 2 and 3, we call this x, then : x - floor(x/16)
6th letter : Validation, add 1, 2 and 3 together and divide by 16, just take
the first digit of this division and add the 4th numbers. Or :
Taking this into account, you can then calculate the passwords with the maximum
of life and time, that would be :
Level 1 : BKBMKM
Level 2 : CKBMLM
Level 3 : DKBMMM
Level 4 : FKBMNM
Level 5 : GKBMPM
Level 6 : HKBMRM
Level 7 : JKBMTM
Level 8 : KKBMVM
Level 9 : LKBMWM
Level 10 : MKBMBN
Level 11 : NKBMCN
Level 12 : PKBMDN
Level 13 : RKBMFN
A wikipedia article :
A video of someone finishing the game in 11 minutes, but in level 9 you'll see
one of the many bugs of the game and the player can now go through walls and
walk on air :
Version 1.0 - 2007-01-26
- First version