Console Games Articles
Relic takes a break from RTS to bring us Space Marine, and shows us what it means to be one of the God-Emperor's Finest.
Looking for that perfect piece of hardware or software for a friend or family? Trying to find a game that delivers a great experience that they might not have already? We're bringing some great pieces that we've covered over the course of this year for your shopping list.
An exclusive in-depth look at DICE's much anticipated first-person parkour action game.
VeGiTAX2 takes on the Fanatec Speedster 3 in a head to head battle. Check it out and see how the current top wheel for the Xbox handles.
Console Games News
Catch the Titanfall trailer yesterday? It introduced a new Titan to the mechanical cast, the Ogre, a heavyweight badass from the factories of Hammond Robotics.
The trailer is like an ad from Hammond, showing off the Ogre's capabilities. According to its creators, this Titan has an impressive success rate and penchant for slaughter. Apparently, the Ogre is responsible for 67% of enemy force "depletion," and takes very little damage in return. Note how Hammond avoids any words that might imply excessive violence.
The video was first shown yesterday during the VGX, Spike's video game awards show (new name), along with other reveals and trailers.
Ogre reveal trailer - YouTube
Update Show's over folks! So any of the announces got you excited?
It's time for 2013's annual Spike video game awards, this year renamed from the VGAs to the more digital-age focused VGX. It's a three-hour event starting at 6:00PM EST/3:00 PM PST that will be livestreamed online at VGXLive.com, Hulu, Yahoo Screen, and Viacom sites like Spike.com, ComedyCentral.com, MTV.com and GameTrailers. Or gamers can tune in on their consoles via Xbox One, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 or through Twitch. Let's be honest, it's not about the awards, it's about the big game reveals and announcements.
And there will certainly be announcements! There's been confirmed rumors of PlayStation, Nintendo and Xbox announcements during the event. That includes new footage or announcements from the following games: Titanfall, The Witcher 3, Quantum Break, The Division, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Dying Light, Broken Age and more. There a whole smorgasbord of rumors worth going over, but no Fallout 4 for sure -- sorry guys.
Consider this post everyone's welcome to join us at Neoseeker for the event where we'll be running a liveblog of the event, as well as a community live-chat in the forums. Our very own Leo Chan, or @Wolfwood as some may know him, will be heading the blog and from what I hear he loves jokes about Geoff Keighley and Doritos. Give the man what he requires, Neoseeker faithful.
First world premier! Tales from the Borderlands, a new episodic game series from Telltale Games!
Next surprise announcement! A Game of Thrones... also from Telltale!
Hello Games is indeed working on No Man's Sky, a sci-fi exploration game set in a procedurally generated alien world.
Heh, the Racing and RPGs didn't even make it into the show! They got their own segment!
Game of the Year 2013
Studio of the Year
Best Driving Game
Best Action Adventure Game
Best Sports Game
Best Indie Game
Character of the Year
The Lutece Twins (BioShock: Infinite)
It's that time of year again the Spike Video Game Awards, or as they're now called, the VGX awards. Some people like the awards themselves, but I've got a feeling most of us watch just for the reveals. That's why we're collecting all of the big rumored reveals for the VGAs in one place. That would be here you didn't realize, since this is the VGX rumor roundup post.
Sure, there's about two weeks left until the VGX awards air on December 7, but that hasn't stopped a few different publishers from intentionally leaking their reveals. On top of that there area few less reliable rumors, but as far as I'm concerned those are probably more important than more reliable ones. That's the whole value of the VGX awards: rampant speculation and fanboyism!
Let's get on with it, shall we? Here are our current rumors organized into subsets of reliability. Expect the list to be updated as we hear more:
- Destiny - Geoff Keighley confirmed the game will have footage shown at VGX, says it, "looks and SOUNDS amazing. Really starting to see the diversity and scope of the worlds."
- Titanfall - Exclusive footage confirmed via press release.
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Exclusive footage confirmed via press release.
- Quantum Break - In a Polygon interview earlier this year Microsoft Studios VP Phil Spencer, while talking about Remedy's Quantum Break, dropped this:
"We have a pretty good piece that I'm trying to coerce people into putting out before the end of the year ... showing the full Remedy vision, with Sam [Lake] giving a pretty good description of how the game works with some new gameplay footage. Maybe VGX would be a good place for that."
- Update 12/2 - Confirmed via Geoff Keighley.
- The Division - Geoff Keighley with another reveal, today saying over Twitter that Ubisoft's The Division will have an in-engine trailer debuting during VGX.
- Dying Light - Exclusive footage confirmed via press release.
- South Park: The Stick of Truth - Exclusive footage confirmed via press release.
- Broken Age - Exclusive footage confirmed via press release.
- Nintendo - Reggie Fils-Aime confirmed that he would be attending/presenting at VGX this year. Will he be showing something off? Nintendo hasn't presented anything at the VGA awards previously, but maybe Nintendo is getting hip with the times. Here's what Reggie said during the show:
"We may be making an appearance. We may be doing something special. We'll see."
- Upcoming Wii U game footage confirmed via press release.
Tomb Raider - According to an inquiry by IGN, Square Enix may have something Tomb Raider related saved up for VGX. Is this the next-gen Tomb Raider reveal or just the announcement of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition that's been rumored for some time now?
"It’s so hard to keep a secret these days! We appreciate all of the enthusiasm, however we don’t have any details to share just yet. That said, we highly recommend you keep an eye on any major gaming events happening in early December."
- Update 12/2: Square Enix VP of Marketing Karl Stewart confirmed via Twitter that they'll have two different games to show at VGX. The first is likely Thief, but evidence is pointing towards this Tomb Raider sequel as the second.
- Thief - Karl Steward, VP of Marketing at Square Enix, initially tweeted that Square Enix would be showing two games at VGX. This was quickly followed by a tweet from the official Thief Twitter account. The tweet said to look forward to the VGX awards, because, "We're cooking up something special for you..."
- Bethesda - Bethesda has confirmed they will not be presenting anything at VGX.
- The Order: 1886 - While The Order: 1886 was originally planned to be shown at VGX, Geoff Keighley confirmed the footage was not finished in time to be shown.
- Fallout 4 - Rumors have been buzzing around a potential Fallout 4 announcement in early December after a teaser site went up, The Survivor 2299, with a countdown and a Fallout-themed icon. However, further investigation revealed the site was hosted in Poland, a location Bethesda certainly wouldn't have decided to be running any sort of business.
- Update 11/22 - Rumors continue to spread about Fallout 4, but all of them are tied to the above mentioned teaser site that isa 99% guaranteed fake. It was registeredd in Poland and continues to use European dates as references, two things Bethesda have never done with their promotional material. Despite that, the site makes for some interesting fun.
- Crash Bandicoot - Rumors spread earlier this week that Crash Bandicoot may be making a modern appearance. Two different events started speculation on the internet: first, a brief Crash teaser found in one of the PlayStation 4's launch videos; second, a rumored listing for Crash Bandicoot on PS4 on Amazon France that was later confirmed to be a hoax with Crash Bandicoot fanart. Unless we get any new information, this one's almost certainly not going to happen.
- Update 11/22 - More Crash Bandicoot rumors are spreading after Activision removed all online reference material to the franchise. However, when asked if Sony has picked up the franchise from Activision, Adam Boyes responded in the negatory. For a Crash to be in the works Adam would have either had to have been straight up lying, or the reboot is in the works at Activision, not Sony. Magic 8-Ball says, "Don't Hold Your Breath."
Pretty slim pickings in terms of rumors so far this year! Odds are the true rumors won't start until after the Xbox One has launched, of course, as Microsoft has previously confirmed they are saving their announcements for December.
Geoff Keighley, the marketing man behind the VGAs and VGX himself, says the officially sanctioned rumors are planned to start soon, however. Best hold onto your butts, everyone. It should be a heck of a show.
Lots of rumors starting to float around about VGX world premieres. Won't be long until we start sharing some details on what to expect.
Capy Games teased a bit of news about Below today, but then surprised everyone by switching the news to another of their games -- Super Time Force. Capy, one of Microsoft's early adopters of the ID@Xbox program for self-publishing on the Xbox One, will now be bringing its nifty 2D side-scrolling shooter to the next-gen console. Don't worry, it's still coming to Xbox 360 too.
Unfortunately, however, that comes with a bit of bad news too. In order to get both versions of the game out at the same time they need to delay it a bit. Super Time Force was originally planned for release in 2013, but will now be postponed a few months into 2014. Considering Capy is working on both Below and Super Time Force concurrently it's worth wondering whether Below has been delayed too.
A double dose of Capybara Games is coming in 2014! Look forward to Super Time Force on both Xbox One and Xbox 360 via XBLA, with Below exclusive to Xbox One to follow. Make sure to check out the teaser trailer below for a quick look at both titles.
Buyers, beware. In a rather unfortunate tale of consumer caution and eBay scumbags, a young man from Nottingham was scammed into paying £450 ($750) for what he thought was a limited Day One Edition Xbox One. He received a bad photo of the item, instead.
19-year-old Peter Clatworthy wanted to surprise his 4-year-old with the console, but when he received his eBay purchase, he found a picture of the Xbox instead. He made the purchase on November 28 and paid a good £450, plus £8 for shipping.
Regarding the whole mess, Clatworthy says he often buys things from eBay and this has never happened before. He explained:
"It said 'photo' and I was in two minds, but I looked at the description and the fact it was in the right category made me think it was genuine.
"I looked at the seller's feedback and there was nothing negative. I bought it there and then because I thought it was a good deal.
"It's obvious now I've been conned out of my money."
The back of the picture even said, "Thank you for your purchase." Yeah, no one can blame the guy for being angry. Fortunately, eBay did provide a full refund to Clatworthy, and have banned the seller from using their site.
The holidays may be a good time to shop, but be very careful when making larger purchases from third party sellers. Here's hoping we don't see anything else like this any time soon.
How about some new Dark Souls II screenshots? A new batch was released today, focusing on the game's Covenants, an aspect of the multiplayer.
In Dark Souls II, players can be a little more social by creeping into someone else's game, where they have the option to aid or harass the host in a number of ways. For anyone who is familiar with the franchise, this is nothing new; a unique way of interacting with other players not quite done in any other RPG.
Dark Souls II will be out on March 11, 2014, for Xbox 360, PS3, and PC. A shame this isn't a next-gen (Current-gen?) game. Can you imagine how gorgeous the world would be with improved visuals? If you need further reason to look forward to it, dig our early preview, in which we confirm that you will die over and over again.
Click here to see more images
Bethesda may have revealed Skyrim at Spike's Video Game Awards, but don't expect a Fallout 4 announcement this year. The company's VP of PR and marketing Pete Hines confirmed as much today.
Earlier this afternoon, Hines mentioned on Twitter that he would not be going to VGX, though he would be in Los Angeles for other business. Bethesda is, in fact, not going to be showing anything at Spike's event.
No, folks. I am not going to VGX. Bethesda is not showing/talking about anything at VGX. Just some PR meetings in LA. Take deep breaths.— Pete Hines (@DCDeacon) December 5, 2013
Even so, you can bet a Fallout 4 announcement will be made before too long. Granted, that could mean any time between now and the entirety of 2014. Then we have to wait for the game to actually come out.
A lot of anticipation for a Fallout reveal comes from the mysterious Survivor 2299 site, which recently showed some activity after a period of dormancy. While clearly related to Fallout in some way, Bethesda has not officially acknowledged the website, meaning it could just be a fan thing.
At any rate, we can cross Fallout 4 off the VGX rumors list. Although the awards show can barely even be considered such these days, it remains a major industry event where companies can reveal or further tease upcoming releases for the following year.
Just needs those magic words, cross-buy and cross-save
It could be one of the best game of the holiday season that nobody is talking about, but hopefully Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus gets a bit more attention with this upcoming announcement. It seems that the game, previously exclusive to the PlayStation 3, has been rated in both Europe and Brazil for the PS Vita. While it won't buy Insomniac Games the advertising the game likely deserves, a second chance to build hype would certainly be more than welcome.
Plus, if they include those two magical phrases that PlayStation fans love to hear, cross-buy and cross-save, then the thing will almost certainly sell quite well. Heck, how about taking it a step further? If Sony made Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus a free PlayStation Plus inclusion I bet it'd be one of the most popular additions to the subscription service yet.
Currently, however, Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus remains exclusive to the PlayStation 3. Hopefully these latest ratings are good indicator that the PS Vita version of the game will be announced within the next week or two. It'd be a great game to put on my Vita and take hope for the holidays.
PC versions both delayed so Capcom can focus on console versions
Ultra Street Fighter IV finally has a release date! Unfortunately it's a bit later than any expected, however. A lot later, actually. The digital upgrade version of the title will be coming first, naturally. PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 players will be able to download the upgrade in June, 2014 for the cost of $14.99. The standalone version for each console will then be release in August for $39.99. That means Capcom will have the game done in time for the EVO fighting game tournament.
Some may have noticed that the PC versions of the game were not included above. Well, in order for Capcom to ensure the console versions of the game were ready for EVO, they to delay the PC versions a bit. Don't worry, it's not too serious. The digital upgrade will arrive in August alongside the console versions of the full game. The standalone is also planned for August, though perhaps a bit later, but since Capcom a bit apologetic about the delay they'll only charge $29.99 instead of the full $40.
Having Ultra Street Fighter IV in early 2014 would have been preferable, naturally, but it's good to hear Capcom's set their goal for a pre-EVO release. Unfortunately that means that EVO may be quite the mess as players are still figuring out the new meta. Eh, better than nothing... probably.
Evidence of Killer Instinct multiplayer desyncing found, players experiencing different match results
Maybe you've won a Killer Instinct match, maybe you haven't
Have you played Killer Instinct on the Xbox One? Remember your first win? Remember your latest? Well after a recent revelation was made by Youtubing Killer Instinct players, the veracity of all wins may be under scrutiny. It appears that desyncing issues may be causing players matched against each other to view two different versions of the same game -- each coming to their own, different conclusions.
After Youtuber Calvin Morrow was matched against a player he was familiar with online, Darksydephil, he checked in with him later to discuss the match. It turned out the two of them had entirely different experiences. One of them saw themselves win the match, one of them had the match end in an abrupt disconnection. It also turned out that both of them recorded the match.
Comparing the two matches showed how both players saw two completely different games. Due to small amounts of lag, where one player would land a hit the other would see a block. This resulted in a desync where each game would continue running with completely different results. Control inputs would still be registered, but the consequences of each action would be entirely different.
One player won, one player desynced when the match ended in the other player's version of the game -- no loss. The result isn't just a confusing single game, but the start of a question: can the results of any Killer Instinct match be trusted from here on? The question of whether there is an issue with net code syncing has been answered. The next is how pervasive the issue is. Killer Instinct has a very, very serious problem.
- Neverland, developers of Rune Factory and Shining Force, ceases operations and files for bankruptcy 
- Titanfall has an Ogre Titan now, watch the official reveal trailer and meet Hammond Robotics 
- VGX Live-blog and Live-chat: GTAV crowned GotY (surprise), Naughty Dog wins top studio 
- Bethesda won't be revealing anything soon, despite alleged Fallout 4 teasers 
- UK man scammed into paying $750 for Day One Xbox One console, receives photo instead 
- First English trailer for Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc shares its wonderful insanity 
- Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution confirmed for localization in 2014 
- League of Legends LCS contracts ban streaming of Dota 2, World of Tanks, Blizzard games 
- Public Service Announcement: Next-Gen Has Been Canceled 
- VGX Live-blog and Live-chat: GTAV crowned GotY (surprise), Naughty Dog wins top studio 
- Xbox One Countdown Liveblog 
- Terrifying disc drive sounds from Xbox One and PS4, let's compare 
- Neoseeker's PlayStation 4 Introductory Livestream (recording available) 
- Sony Entertainment Network on PlayStation 4 facing serious issues, login errors