Toshiba American Electronic Components, Inc. has announced the world's first 2.1" reflective low-temperature poly-silicon (LTPS) thin film transistor (TFT) Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) (phew...)
The LTPS TFT LCDs (yikes) utilize an innovative technology that embeds multiple static random access memory (SRAM) cells within each red, green and blue (RGB) dot in the LCD array.
Each of the SRAM cells integrated into the LCD can hold one bit of data (per RGB). Viewing stored data such as email and still pictures with eight colors will not utilize the peripheral circuitry of the display or require that information be sent to the LCD dot.
And what does all this confounding gibberish mean to the rest of us?
-The LCD's power consumption in standby mode is cut by approximately 50 percent to lower than 1.4 milliwatts (mW).
-As a result, overall standby time for cellular phones is raised by 23 percent, from 350 to 430 hours (based on a typical battery specification of 3.3V, 650mAh).
Toshiba intends to incorporate this technology into cellular phones in the fourth quarter of 2001. Cellular phones are the most ideal candidates for these new displays because the displays are static and they are often in standby mode.
Read the press release here
- Sega re-enters the console wars with mini Mega Drive, 80 games plus cartridge slot 
- Square Enix is working on a new RPG, Kamitsuri set to be revealed August 1 
- Level-5 reveals Lady Layton, meet the puzzle professor's daughter 
- Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 is Japan's best selling game so far in 2016 
- Hearthstone invites you to spend One Night in Karazhan with Medivh starting August 11 
- South Park: The Fractured but Whole launches December 6, fart your way to victory 
- Rumor: Nintendo NX to be portable console with cartridges and NVIDIA Tegra processor 
- Pokémon GO Plus accessory delayed until September, keep your eyes on the phone 
- The Nintendo Entertainment System will launch November 11 for $59.99 
- July CoroCoro leak introduces two new Pokémon, meet Kiteruguma and Mimikkyu 
- Pokémon GO blamed in shooting death of Guatemalan teen during home invasion 
- Summer Games Done Quick 2016 starts on Sunday, watch the race for charity here 
- Nintendo stock prices skyrocket as Pokémon GO places Eevees in the highway 
- Pokémon GO trainers asked to stop catching Pokémon in The Holocaust Museum 
- Fri, Jul 29
- Shenmue sub-director Keiji Okayasu reprises his role for Shenmue III
- Hearthstone invites you to spend One Night in Karazhan with Medivh starting August 11
- Square Enix is working on a new RPG, Kamitsuri set to be revealed August 1
- Thu, Jul 28
- Explore Yooka-Laylee in special Toybox demo, exclusive to Kickstarter backers
- Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 is Japan's best selling game so far in 2016
- Nep-Nep Connect: Chaos Chanpuru will bring Compile Heart to Vita's card table in Japan
- Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 trailer shows off new transformations, power pole, and Flying Nimbus
- Wed, Jul 27
- Level-5 reveals Lady Layton, meet the puzzle professor's daughter
- Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past battle trailer warns of King Slimes
- BATMAN - The Telltale Series multiplayer to feature crowd play, Twitch plays Batman
Latest Net Reviews
|·||Cooler Master MasterBox 5 (French)|
|·||Corsair ML140 and ML120 Review|
|·||Synology DiskStation DS916+|
|·||MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming Z 8G|
|·||Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming Premium Pack|