We were supposed to have it for Christmas 2006. Then it was pushed over until January of next year. And now, Vista may see even further delays in the coming months.
Good old Bill Gates himself told partners in South Africa that there was an 80 percent chance that Vista would be ready for its January release date next. If you do the math, that leaves a 20 percent chance that it will delayed once again. The chance of further delays could hinge on the Beta testing and final refinement of the up coming OS. "We've got to get this absolutely right. If the feedback from beta tests show it is not ready for prime time, I'd be glad to delay it," Gates had said.
And if one were to think that these postponements are only hurting Microsoft, one could not be more wrong. Developers and hardware manufacturers have been playing will Vista components for quite some time, though they may only be Beta portions. Many companies have already developed new products designed specifically for Vista. Their investment is time sensitive and have been planned to coincide with the Vista launch. So, do these companies hold off, let their technology age and depreciate until Vista arrives. Or do they launch and hope people will buy something for an yet unreleased OS. And furthermore, many of these new ventures are web based services that take advantage of some of the new Internet features built into Vista.
Gates had said that Microsoft has allocated and spent much of the $8 to $9 billion...that's billion...dollars that Vista and Microsoft Office 2007 need for their development. Partners, really just a fancy word for other companies, are spending nearly 20 times that in their development.
Finally, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer spoke frankly at a Microsoft's Worldwide Partner Conference in Boston and said "We will never have a gap between Windows releases as long as the one between XP and Windows Vista." He went on to say that it was "fair" to say Windows Vista had been a long time coming. But he promised customers and partners it would be an "absolutely blockbuster release."
- Pokémon GO Plus accessory delayed until September, keep your eyes on the phone 
- Rumor: Nintendo NX to be portable console with cartridges and NVIDIA Tegra processor 
- Sega re-enters the console wars with mini Mega Drive, 80 games plus cartridge slot 
- Level-5 reveals Lady Layton, meet the puzzle professor's daughter 
- Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past battle trailer warns of King Slimes 
- BATMAN - The Telltale Series multiplayer to feature crowd play, Twitch plays Batman 
- Sid Meier's Civilization VI sees Catherine de Medici ruling the French through subterfuge 
- Pokémon GO responsible for falling Nintendo stocks, Slowpoke finally caught on 
- The Nintendo Entertainment System will launch November 11 for $59.99 
- July CoroCoro leak introduces two new Pokémon, meet Kiteruguma and Mimikkyu 
- Pokémon GO blamed in shooting death of Guatemalan teen during home invasion 
- Summer Games Done Quick 2016 starts on Sunday, watch the race for charity here 
- Nintendo stock prices skyrocket as Pokémon GO places Eevees in the highway 
- Pokémon GO trainers asked to stop catching Pokémon in The Holocaust Museum 
- Wed, Jul 27
- Level-5 reveals Lady Layton, meet the puzzle professor's daughter
- Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past battle trailer warns of King Slimes
- BATMAN - The Telltale Series multiplayer to feature crowd play, Twitch plays Batman
- Pokémon GO Plus accessory delayed until September, keep your eyes on the phone
- Tue, Jul 26
- Sid Meier's Civilization VI sees Catherine de Medici ruling the French through subterfuge
- Rumor: Nintendo NX to be portable console with cartridges and NVIDIA Tegra processor
- Classic and Modern Sonic the Hedgehog join forces in Project Sonic 2017
- Sega re-enters the console wars with mini Mega Drive, 80 games plus cartridge slot
- Mon, Jul 25
- Summon Night 6 crosses borders with hefty Wonderful Edition bundle
- Pokémon GO responsible for falling Nintendo stocks, Slowpoke finally caught on