As reported earlier, ATI is rumored to be at work on a new GPU currently known as the R420 (news). X-bit Labs has discovered some new rumors regarding this new graphics core.
Codenamed the "Loki" by internal development, the R420 is expected to be twice as fast as ATI's current Radeon 9800 Pro GPU (R350). It will feature 110 to 150 million transistors, and either 8 rendering pipelines with 2 texture modules per pipe, or 16 rendering pipelines (but with 1 texture module per pipe instead). The R420 will also support Pixel and Vertex Shaders 3.0.
However, some of the new details conflict with previous rumors. For example, the article mentions that the R420 will likely be manufactured using a 0.15-micron fabrication process, but The Inquirer is confident that it might a 0.13-micron GPU instead in a news byte here.
Additionally, it was previously reported that the R420 would feature a new architecture, but the X-bit report denies this, saying that it will indeed share the same design as the R350 and upcoming R360 (Radeon 9900 series?) GPUs. Only time will tell in discovering what really makes the R420 tick.
What hasn't changed is that the R420 is still to be announced on paper this Fall at the next Comdex industry trade show, with actual product and market availabilty expected sometime the first quarter next year. Again, the R420 will initially support both PCI Express and AGP platforms, with a "pure" PCI Express version possibly scheduled for the second half next year.
- Hearthstone invites you to spend One Night in Karazhan with Medivh starting August 11 
- South Park: The Fractured but Whole launches December 6, fart your way to victory 
- Rumor: Nintendo NX to be portable console with cartridges and NVIDIA Tegra processor 
- Pokémon GO Plus accessory delayed until September, keep your eyes on the phone 
- Square Enix is working on a new RPG, Kamitsuri set to be revealed August 1 
- Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 is Japan's best selling game so far in 2016 
- I Am Setsuna now available, prepare yourself for classic JRPG goodness on PS4 and Steam 
- Level-5 reveals Lady Layton, meet the puzzle professor's daughter 
- The Nintendo Entertainment System will launch November 11 for $59.99 
- July CoroCoro leak introduces two new Pokémon, meet Kiteruguma and Mimikkyu 
- Pokémon GO blamed in shooting death of Guatemalan teen during home invasion 
- Summer Games Done Quick 2016 starts on Sunday, watch the race for charity here 
- Nintendo stock prices skyrocket as Pokémon GO places Eevees in the highway 
- Seven new Pokémon announced for Sun & Moon, see 'em all in a new trailer 
- Fri, Jul 29
- Shenmue sub-director Keiji Okayasu reprises his role for Shenmue III
- Hearthstone invites you to spend One Night in Karazhan with Medivh starting August 11
- Square Enix is working on a new RPG, Kamitsuri set to be revealed August 1
- Thu, Jul 28
- Explore Yooka-Laylee in special Toybox demo, exclusive to Kickstarter backers
- Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 is Japan's best selling game so far in 2016
- Nep-Nep Connect: Chaos Chanpuru will bring Compile Heart to Vita's card table in Japan
- Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 trailer shows off new transformations, power pole, and Flying Nimbus
- Wed, Jul 27
- Level-5 reveals Lady Layton, meet the puzzle professor's daughter
- Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past battle trailer warns of King Slimes
- BATMAN - The Telltale Series multiplayer to feature crowd play, Twitch plays Batman
Latest Net Reviews
|·||Cooler Master MasterBox 5 (French)|
|·||Corsair ML140 and ML120 Review|
|·||Synology DiskStation DS916+|
|·||MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming Z 8G|
|·||Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming Premium Pack|