If ever a reason was needed to jump back into a game and check it out anew, then it’s surely a bunch of new DLC being released. Not to mention a new content pack also being made available for free. The latest release in the long running Total War series, Total War: Rome II has recently received two brand new DLC packs in the form of the free August Warriors Update and the paid for Daughters of Mars DLC. Unlike the rather substantial Caesar in Gaul expansion from last year, these latest two pieces are smaller unit addition packs.
Available to anyone who currently owns the game is the free August Warrior Update. It offers a selection of new units and can be accessed by updating the game via Steam. The update delivers the first female warrior units to Total War: Rome II. Both the Amazonian Riders and Scythian Noblewomen are mounted archery units, plus a Suebi infantry unit in the Hex-Bearers. The Suebi also receive a number of other units including Round Shield Swordsmen, Spear Wall, and mounted unit the Riders of the Hunt. For free content the August Warrior Update offers some nice solid additions.
The clue is in the title when it comes to the Daughters of Mars DLC, as just like the August Update pack the new units are all comprised of women:
- Rome receives not one but two new available units in this pack through the heavily armoured Gladiatrices and their pole weapon wielding counterparts the Spear Gladiatrices. Both units are strong when it comes to defense but it is the Spear variant of the Gladiatrices that have the better defensive bonus.
- In addition to their boost in the August Update, the Suebi also benefit from two more units in this DLC pack with a new Spearwomen unit, plus dead eyed archers the Cimbri Bow-Women. These Germanic units combined with those from the free content pack make quite a formidable set of opponents.
- The Mercenary Kushite Shieldwomen come armed with the dangerous combination of shield and spear they are able to form solid defensive ranks while still posing a deadly threat any mounted units unfortunate enough to come across them
- Lusitania also benefits with the addition of the Lusitani Swordswomen, a solid defensive unit that are more than capable of exploiting woodland cover to their deadly advantage.
- Last but certainly not least are Gorgo’s Skirmishers, a sling-wielding Spartan unit that offer heavier damage and a faster-fire rate compared to the standard sling equipped ranged units.
Total War: Rome II will already have updated to the latest version for anyone with automatic updates turned on in Steam, upgrading the game with the free August DLC. The Daughters of Mars DLC is also available right now for the fairly nominal fee of $2.99 via the Steam Store.