Triumph Games is trying to harness halfling magic with the announcement of the Age of Wonders III expansion, Golden Realms. On top of that, the expansion is planned for release as soon ast next month. AoW3 players can pick up the expansion starting September 18. Considering how quickly the expansion will be available, it might be a surprise how much content will be bundled in. Let me sum it up for everyone: halflings.
Yes, Halflings will be a playable race win Golden Realms, opening up a whole faction of halfling units for the player to add to their armies. In fact, over twenty new units are being added as a part of Golden Realms, which also include mermaids and dreadmonkeys which throw their own filth. Not the mermaids, the monkeys.
Here's a full list of content and features being added as part of the Age of Wonders III: Golden Realms expansion:
- The Halfling Race
- Golden Realms Campaign
- Exotic Map Locations
- Over twenty new units
- Fifty New Hero Items
- Wild Magic Specialization
- Partisan Specialization
- Two hand crafted scenarios
- Mystical City Upgrades: Arcane treasure sites located in your domain unlock new unique upgrades for your cities, making the location and specialization of your cities more important than ever. Building a city near a Crystal Tree unlocks the Enchanted Armory which reinforcing your armored units.
- Empire Quests: Achieve empire building goals before your rivals to unlock unique rewards for your realm. This introduces a new type of indirect competition between players. Examples are the Eternal City: be the first to build a metropolis and get an awe-inspiring Monument of Prime Good and Evil, where the first player to achieve full good or full evil alignment has a party of champions the respective alignment join at no cost.
- Seals of Power: A new King of the Hill style victory condition where players must capture and hold the dangerous Seals of Power structures in order to achieve victory. Don’t sit and hold back as broken seals attract extra-dimensional beings wanting to take the Seal back.
- Defensive City Upgrades: Each race has a unique city defense to build. The Draconian’s Firestorm Pillar sets ablaze those who dare attack their city. Or the Bell Tower for the Humans which rallies the citizenry to shoot volleys at oncoming enemies.
Oof, it's a lot of stuff to list for everyone, but considering Triumph has put so much work into putting together the expansion I suppose listing it all out is the least we could do.
To help players get an idea of how some of Golden Realm's content comes together in a single game, Triumph Games put together a little developer led Let's Play video. Inside folk can see what it's like to play as the luck-infused Halfling race and their Wild Magics. Not so surprising that a Halfling's battle prowess rides so heavily on the flip of a coin. Indeed.
Age of Wonders III's Golden Realms expansion will be available on PC starting September 18. It's not a standalone expansion, so players will have to own the original game in order to access all of the new content.