Warframe's success is both well deserved and yet surprising too. While the PC release of the game is certainly well-received, the fact that Warframe was one of, if not the first free-to-play title on PlayStation 4 certainly helped elevate to free-to-play shooter to another level entirely. As a result of their success with Warframe, Digital Extremes can continue to produce a bevy of great free content. Today marks the release of Update 14, Warframe's largest update yet.
The most striking difference in Warframe will be most felt by players who won't even realize a change has been made -- new players. A new quest has been created to introduce players to the game and guide them through their first steps with their Warframe of choice. The new player experience will be compounded with a reimagined user interface and menus. These reworks will create a new class of Warframe players who have started the game with an entirely new experience compared to veterans.
Veterans and newbies alike will enjoy the user interface and menus rework, but that's not where the boons stop. All players will also now have their own personal spacecraft to make their own. The Liset, as it's called, can even be upgraded with various components and systems to make it a core part of every player's journey in Warframe (complete the quest "Vor's Prize" to gain access to spacecraft customization).
That's only scratching the surface of the Warframe Update 14 content. From here, things start to get out of hand:
- Kubrow Pet - A new quest lets players collect a Kubrow egg, which they can bring back to their ship to raise. Depending on how the Kubrow is cared for it can become effective in combat in various different ways.
- Mirage Warframe - This new Warframe excels at illusion and deception, summoning clones, creating traps, and using light and darkness in the environment to enhance her abilities.
- Replayable Quests - A selection of replayable quests with unlockable difficulties will now be available (opens after the completion of the "Vor's Prize" quest).
- Dark Sectors Multiplayer - Replacing the Solar Rails PvP mode, Dark Sectors is an objective-based team multiplayer match featuring up to four players against four players.
- Akzani, Silva and Aegis Weapons - Two new weapons are now available. The Azkani is the Mirage Warframe's preferred weapon, a set of dual pistoals that are fast firing. The Silva and Aegis weapon feature a sword and shield for melee players that like to get into the fight and stay there.
- Additional Game Mode - Hive Sabotage, Exterminate and Survival game modes have been added due to the Infested overtaking Eris.
To summarize, while there's a bunch of new content designed to help new players get used to Warframe, there's even more content being added just for veterans to continue their adventures in. Weapons, a new Warframe, more quests, and plenty of game modes and even multiplayer. Update 14 has something for every kind of player.
Warframe is now available on PlayStation 4 and PC. It's free-to-play, so if third-person shooters set in sci-fi settings with insense melee and ranged action are your thing... who am I kidding? Warframe should be everyone's thing.