Tripwire Interactive made the original Killing Floor in three months as a mod for Unreal Tournament 2004. It turned into a huge success and turned it into the proud studio that could that it currently is now. It's only right that now that they've earned the stability that comes with creating solid games, that they make a sequel the game that really started it all. Killing Floor 2 is a reality and fans of the original really won't be prepared for what's coming next.
Basically, Tripwire is building Killing Floor 2 in the way that they wished they could have made the original. Back then they were a small crew with little money, pumping out something they could sell in just three months. Now they've got a full team, the resources for extended development and likely a laundry list of awesome features they wanted to put in the original Killing Floor. Make it so, Tripwire. Make it so.
What then are the core tennets of Killing Floor that need to be improved upon? Well, it's a pretty simple game, so these should be easy to guess for most players: gore, co-op, monsters, weapons, customization and yeah, shooting too. Let's see what's coming in Killing Floor 2:
- Visceral Gore - Killing Floor 2 ramps up the gore with a proprietary, high powered persistent blood system bringing new levels of fidelity to the genre. Players will send entrails, severed limbs, and blood flying as they wade through hordes of enemies. But they need to watch out! If caught, enemies will rip them, and their entire party limb from limb
- 6 player co-op or solo play - A multitude of varied playable characters await for players to choose from as they enter the fray in online co-op mode or solo mode for those willing to brave the horrific specimens alone
- Terrifying Zeds - New enemies and fan favorites from the original game are back with expanded and smarter artificial intelligence, dishing out powerful attacks, working as a group to weaken the player’s party and pushing the challenge level and fear factor to new levels
- Unique Blend Of Weaponry - From modern militaristic assault rifles, brutal improvised makeshift weapons, classic historical guns, and off the wall “Mad Scientist” weapons, Killing Floor 2 has a unique blend of killing tools that will satisfy any gamer
- Expanded Perk System - Perks from the original game have been reimagined with more added to the fold. All perks now progress with meaningful talent choices that amplify different play styles,
- Brutal Melee Combat - Killing Floor 2 reinvents melee combat completely. Players now have control over the type of melee attacks they can perform, enabling them to deliver bone-breaking crippling attacks to Zeds
After checking out both the teaser trailer and the screenshots that Tripwire has provide it should be pretty obvious that these guys are: A, messed up in the head and B, have a pretty awesome game in the works.
Killing Floor 2 is currently planned to launch on PC and SteamOS. There's currently no planned release window at this time.