The Last of Us' post-launch development is coming to an end. The final DLC pack, the Grounded Bundle, has now been detailed and should be released in the coming weeks. Mixing both single-player and multiplayer content, the final portion of the Season Pass for The Last of Us has something for everyone. Dedicated single-player addicts can test their worth in "Grounded Mode" and multiplayer kids can try their hand at new maps and weapons. The Grounded Bundle is the last of The Last of Us.
Let's start with details related to the single-player content first. The "Grounded Mode" is an additional difficulty for The Last of Us that's supposed to make the game more challenging than ever. Surprisingly, specific details remain scant, but Naughty Dog says that enemy AI has been improved in dramatic ways. They also believe that the "Completed Grounded Mode" trophy may be the most difficult to acquire in the game. On its own, "Grounded Mode" will cost $4.99.
Multiplayer content is much easier to cover in The Last of Us' Grounded Bundle. It comes in the form of a handy bulleted list:
- Reclaimed Territories Map Pack - $9.99 standalone or included as part of the season pass
- Wharf - Set in the rusted-out docks where Joel encountered Robert, the Wharf map features close quarters gameplay, two snipers nests, and a giant boat. It’s full of good opportunities for climbing, flanking, and stealth.
- Capitol - Set in Boston, the Capitol Map features indoor and outdoor gameplay. It encourages the intelligent use of flanking.
- Coal Mine - Set in Colorado, Coal Mine is a winter map that’s spotted with abandoned buildings. It’s a spacious map that has long lines of sight and a bridge that’s a perfect perch for snipers. The dynamic snowstorm obscures the view so be on your toes.
- Water Tower - Set in Lincoln, PA, the Water Tower map features two primary chokepoints for some deadly face-to-face confrontations. It’s mainly an outdoor map with a few indoor areas and some very unique lighting. It might seem open, but it’s really a tight map that’s perfect for close quarters melee.
- Survivalist Weapon Bundle - $5.99 standalone or included as part of the season pass
- Specter - A silenced assault rifle that’s great if your style is stealth stalker. PSN purchase unlocks this gun for use in your Custom Loadout. Equip in the Purchasable loadout slot, then use in-game parts to buy it during the match.
- Double Barrel - Classic, deadly, double-barrel shotgun. Only 1 loadout point. PSN purchase unlocks this gun for use in your Custom Loadout. Equip in the Purchasable loadout slot, then use in-game parts to buy it during the match.
- Enforcer - Highly accurate pistol but will cost you an extra loadout point.
- Launcher - A weapon that fires small explosives, in the vein of a home-made potato gun. PSN purchase unlocks this gun for use in your Custom Loadout. Equip in the Purchasable loadout slot, then use in-game parts to buy it during the match.
- Situational Survival Skills Bundle and Professional Survival Skills Bundle - Each bundle costs $3.99
- Situational Survival Skills Bundle
- Agility - Climb, vault, and move while crouching faster than you could before. At level 3 you are nearly impossible to hear while moving.
- Awareness - See enemy nametags before they see yours and enemy nametags remain on screen for several seconds when taking fire.
- Fortitude - Downed? Level up this skill and it will help you survive longer as you’ll take longer to bleed out, crawl faster, and have more health when downed. At higher levels you’ll start with an extra health pack, and earn extra parts each time you heal.
- Scavenger - Automatically pick up ammo and supplies and see increases in drops from enemies with this valuable skill. At level 3 enemies sometimes drop a random crafting ingredient.
- Professional Survival Skills Bundle
- Gunslinger - Equip this skill to start each spawn with more pistol ammo as you level up the skill.
- Bomb Expert - Your bombs will explode more quickly and you’ll be immune to the stun of your own smoke bomb as you level up this skill.
- Executioner - If your play style is the higher the risk, the greater the reward, then this is the skill you want. Earn more parts for shiv kills and special executions, and get extra shiv uses every time you craft a shiv.
- Damage Marker - Good at hitting your targets? This is the skill for you as you’ll automatically mark any enemies you hit and earn double the parts for making.
- Situational Survival Skills Bundle
As ridiculous as it sounds to me to offer multiplayer skills as DLC, hopefully there's something here The Last of Us fans can find is worth investing in.
All of the DLC listed above, including the Grounded Mode, Reclaimed Territories Map Pack, Survivalist Weapon Bundle, Situational Survival Skills Bundle and Professional Survival Skills Bundle are part of The Last of Us' Season Pass for DLC. The last part of the Season Pass, in fact. Each pack can also be bought separately, but expect to pay a premium.
Oh, and it should also be noted that apparently not all of this DLC will be included in the PlayStation 4's The Last of Us Remastered package. Rather, only the map pack will be included. That's a bit of a bummer, isn't it?