Amazon Game Studios has the burden of being the Amazon Fire TV's primary first-party developer, a difficult place to be for a brand new console touting itself as solid gaming platform. They've put out a launch title, third-person tower defense shooter Sev Zero, but one $7 game isn't going to be enough to sell the platform to a core gaming audience. Luckily, it looks like they're hard at work on a handful of much more interesting games.
Accompanying the launch of the Amazon Fire TV and Sev Zero, Amazon Game Studios released a teaser trailer showcasing a number of what can only be assumed to be "in-development" titles. Many of these games, especially when compared directly to Sev Zero, were quite striking and inspired. Here's a short list of the different games that were shown, in description due to the lack of titles:
- Origami safari, featuring an environment made of folded and cut pieces of paper. A protagonist, perhaps, made of white folded paper runs alongside a yellow bear. Light blue elephants roam an orange plain. Cell shaded and simple. Overall quite beautiful.
- 3D platformer featuring a red-headed boy in a backpack. He swims through waters filled with ruins, bright balloon mines and giant clamshells. He falls into a giant temple of sorts where mysterious blue light rises out of a spot on the ground. His trusty dog sidekick right beside him teh whole way.
- An RPG where adventurous looking characters take turns shooting pistols and swinging swords at each other. A circle around their feet shows each characters' remaining HP. In the background, island huts made of wood and sitting on stilts. Reminds me of Waka's home in Final Fantasy X.
- A 2D shooter where the player is a caveman fighting dinosaurs geared up with giant lasers and parachutes. Yes, a tyranasaurus rex with a huge laser on its back. Fighting a caveman with a club. Oh no, who gave the caveman the laser? This isn't going well.
- Another turn-based RPG? This one's set in some sort of jungle ruins with warriors taking turns attacking each other. Much bloodier than the previous RPG. Much more Age of Conan than Final Fantasy X.
- A mystery/adventure type game where the player explores what looks like an empty surgery room with what appears to be a time disparity system, past/present switch.
- Some sort of action or RPG game where girl with a pipe fights flying globs of goo and teeth with a metal pipe.
- A defense sort of game where the player fires a cannon set on the wall of a fortress at an incoming army of all sorts of monsters, including a giant of sorts that could simply reach over the wall and end the battle instantly
- A 2D shooter/platformer that looks a lot like Pid, starring a little space man flying around on a scooter and shooting aliens from cover.
If I'm right about which game is which, that's nine games total. My personal favorites are the origami safari and the 2D Pid-style platformer/shooter, simply because they have such stylized art. The other games, well, let's remember that this is an Android-based platformer. The graphics are bad, man. You have to try harder than, "We've got modern graphics, only with 5% of the polygons and extremely low resolution textures!" I figure everyone's going to beg for the laser t-rex game, though.
It sounds like Amazon Game Studios have a number of games in the pipeline. I wonder if they're going to aim for small games released quickly versus larger games released less often. I don't see people buying a console for 5 cool 15-minute games. Who knows what Amazon's strategy is. This whole thing is super weird.