Fans have cast their votes in Double Fine's crowd-powered Amnesia Fortnight polls and the finalists have been chosen. That is to say that the initial group of over thirty pitches has been cut down to ten finalists. It's always hard to see the other games go, but lets be honest Bad Golf is better a joke during Amnesia Fortnight than it'd ever be as an actual game. Gamers have until Thursday at noon to vote on the new finalists, of which only three will win and me made into prototypes.
Without further ado, let's introduce the ten finalists along with short descriptions for each of them in no specific order:
- Mnenomic - Mnemonic is a surreal, first-person noir adventure where you explore and rearrange memories in order to solve the murder of the woman you loved.
- Steed - In Steed, you play a horse-for-hire and save a storybook land full of inept heroes.
- Derelict - Derelict is a exploration game in which you'll have to find out what happened to the crew of an abandoned spaceship drifting through outer space.
- Breach - Breach is a space sim 3rd person shooter.
- Eras of Adventure - Journey through the different eras of adventure games - begin in a text based adventure, move to the 8-bit graphics era, through points & click, and finally arrive in the modern day renaissance of the genre.
- What Could Go Wrong - A summer camping slasher horror adventure game that captures the aesthetic of the films from the 70's and 80's.
- Project 行 - Project 行 (xing) is a spell-casting fighting game, based on the five Chinese elements.
- Dear Leader - An emergent narrative game, where you play a despotic ruler guiding the future of a post-revolution Republic.
- ExtraTerrarium - An open-world Action Puzzler where you observe the behavior of alien wildlife and adopt their abilities to survive in a hostile ecosystem.
- ether - Ether is a game about the joy of exploration; skimming over the ruins of derelict ships scattered across a lonely, desolate island.
Ten games is a bit more reasonable to spend time researching than thirty, yes? Unfortunately we don't get much more information on any of the games than we had before. None at all really, unless you're willing to watch an hour-long video where each project lead gets a 90-second long interview. Still, the games are what they are and Amnesia Fortnight is as much about having fun as inspiring Double Fine's next year of games.
By Thursday at noon seven more games will get the chop. Only three Amnesia Fortnight games will get Double Fine's proto-typing treatment, in addition to a special game from Adventure Time creator Pendleton Ward. Just make sure to head to the Humble Bundle site and donate a dollar so you can vote.
Me? If I had to pick three I'd go with the Gone Home-inspired space experience Derelict, 80's slash flick adventure game What Could Go Wrong, and the Paper, Please dictator-sim Dear Leader. Those are three ideas that I don't just find inspired, but that I'd be willing to pay for too. The others? Well, maybe a prototype could inspire me.