Drag on, Drakengard 3, as Square Enix today revealed the PlayStation 3 exclusive will be launching on May 20. Along with the launch date reveal, new details surrounding the game's preorder bonuses and Collector's Edition have also been made available. Of special note is the game's tiered preorder bonus system, which provides extra content for preordering sooner rather than later. What you're probably most interested in seeing though is the game's newly released opening cinematic, now in English.
Alright, let's go over this preorder nonsense. Who cares that simply making preorder bonuses available in the game would make it a better product for everyone, we've got to make sure kids get their exclusives so they can brag online and create buzz pre-launch. Basically, preorders for Drakengard 3 break down into three tiers. The earlier you preorder, the most content you'll receive as a bonus:
- Tier One: Preorder prior to March 3 and earn the Japanese voice-over DLC otherwise not included with the game, along with the content included in Tier Two and Tier Three.
- Tier Two: Preorder between March 4 and April 8 to unlock the as-yet-unannounced DLC contentt from Tier Two as well as the content in Tier Three.
- Tier Three: Preorder bettween April 9 and launch on May 20 to earn the as-yet-unannounced DLC of Tier Three, but not the content of any other tier.
That means that if you're planning on preordering Drakengard 3 then best do it before March 3 so you don't get screwed out of some fun content that will otherwise come at a cost post-launch. That Japanese voice-over especially is a rather lame thing to lock behind DLC, what with localization voice-over often being quite poor, but offering an opportunity to get it for free is better than nothing.
How about Collector's Edition content? For Drakengard 3 Square Enix will only be releasing 5000 copies of the Collector's Edition, so make sure to keep your eye out for preorders which are available only on the Square Enix Online Store. It'll cost $79.99, compared to the standard edition's $49.99, which isn't too pricey, but I suppose it all depends on the content, right?
Drakengard 3 Collector's Edition:
- Drakengard 3 for PlayStation 3
- The Complete Novella
- Official Soundtrack CD Sampler
- Prequel Stage DLC: Play as Zero’s sister, One, in this additional level
- Caim Costume DLC: Protagonist of the original Drakengard (Once equipped, stamina consumption decreases by half when using a skill)
- Giant Baby Hat DLC: For your in-game dragon companion
- Drakengard 3 Collectible Poster
- All content in the three pre-order tiers
Pick up Drakengard 3, prequel to the original Drakengard, exclusively on for PlayStation 3 starting May 20. It'll be available both via retail and as a digital download on the PlayStation Network. Remember, if you're certain you'll be picking up Drakengard 3, make sure to preorder prior to March 4 to unlock all of the preorder bonuses. Or, don't support any of this preorder nonsense and wait for the game to launch before picking it up.