The Phoenix has been officially announced on the third day of Dota 2's New Blood Festival reveal. Yes, you all called it, given that Valve did drop some really obvious hints about rebirth and renewal. Still, color us excited to see the Phoenix/Icarus finally join the Dota 2 roster.
Dota 2's version keeps the same four skills we saw in DotA, both in name and effects. Though Valve's skill descriptions are much more concise, the similarities remain, from Icarus Dive to Supernova:
For aeons beyond count, the stars above coalesced their energy, each in time bursting forth the cataclysmic fires of supernova to mark the sky with stellar progeny. By this ageless crucible the star called Phoenix collapsed into being. Over long cycles this conscious light inquired and studied, and through chance learned of an enduring conflict of cosmic consequence. Thus an infant son of suns has taken terrestrial form, eager to shine its warmth wherever events seem their darkest.
- Icarus Dive - Swoop forward in a fierce arc, slowing and damaging all enemies in your path.
- Fire Spirits - Spend health to summon spirits which can be launched at your foes to burn them over time.
- Sun Ray - Sacrifice vitality to blast your enemies, and heal your allies, with a beam of searing light.
- Supernova - Become a core of fusing energy that burns nearby enemies which, if allowed to detonate, will stun foes and renew your strength.
In addition to the Phoenix reveal, the New Bloom update will add Replay Takeover, a feature that lets you control any replay "created after the New Bloom update, then act out the rest of the match from that moment forward." The Takeover button will let you create a lobby where other participants can choose which heroes in the replay to control. Then, you can basically replay that moment, any way you please, which should be great for players hoping to learn from mistakes or just pick up some new tricks.
On top of all that, Valve also announced new Dota Store items to fit the New Bloom theme. The Treasure of Vermilion Renewal chests will be added, giving you a chance to unlock...
- Curse of the New Season - The stirring of the New Bloom imbues ferocity with a new form.
- Charming Assassin Curls (hair item) - The Western Wails value beauty and efficiency in equal measure.
- Healing Fount of the Lost Isles - The healing arts of bygone lands have lost none of their potency.
New costumes will also be added, based on Dota 2 community creations and voted by the the players.
Yesterday, on Day 2 of reveals, Valve announced Terrorblade and the amusing Random Ability Draft mode.