As expected Riot Games has revealed their next League of Legends champion, Yasuo. That's right, despite the clever idea that recent teasers had actually been for Yasuo's brother, Yone, Riot's not known for being anything other that straight forward in this regards. Yasuo, in a battle of honor, killed his brother Yone and thus received his title: the Unforgiven. Welcome League of Legends' next mid-lane assassin, Summoners.
That's right, Yasuo is a melee AD carry with a tough early laning phase and what we can assume builds into an unstoppable carry if left to their own devices. Let's go over Yasuo's skill-set:
- Passive: Way of the Wanderer
- Intent: Yasuo's critical strike chance is doubled.
- Resolve: Yasuo gains Flow as he moves – the faster he moves, the faster his Flow meter fills. When full, Yasuo activates a brief shield after taking damage from enemy champions or monsters.
- Q: Steel Tempest
- Yasuo thrusts forward with his sword, damaging all enemies in a line. Successfully landing Steel Tempest grants Yasuo Gathering Storm stacks for a short period. The third stack of Gathering Storm causes Steel Tempest to send out a whirlwind that travels in a line and sends all enemies caught Airborne. If Yasuo casts Steel Tempest during Sweeping Blade, the ability strikes all enemies immediately around him.
- W: Wind Wall
- Passive: Dashing replenishes Yasuo's Flow faster.
- Active: Yasuo creates a wall of wind that slowly drifts forward for a few seconds. The wall blocks all enemy projectiles.
- E: Sweeping Blade
- Yasuo dashes a fixed distance through an enemy, dealing damage and marking them briefly. If Yasuo uses Sweeping Blade multiple times in succession, the ability deals extra damage up to a cap. Yasuo cannot use Sweeping Blade on an enemy that's already been marked.
- R: Last Breath
- Yasuo teleports to a nearby Airborne enemy champion, briefly suspending them and all surrounding Airborne enemies mid-air as he damages them. Once he lands, Yasuo gains significant armor penetration against his enemy's bonus armor for an extended period of time.
Obviously we've got ourselves another high skill-cap champion with Yasuo. The gameplay involved with charging up "Gathering Storm" stacks in order to knock a player airborn and then following that up with Last Breath? My word, that's going to be a complicated combination. Or maybe I'm wrong and the combo will be effortless, in which case there's a very dangerous foe being introduced into the League.
I don't like to get into lore, but there is one interesting connection worth mentioning. He's currently searching for the assassin that killed his village's elder. Apparently the assassin killed the elder with... wind blade skills. Expect some Yasuo/Yi shipping in the future.
League of Legends is free-to-play MOBA available on PC and Mac.