It shouldn't come as any big surprise, but Sony revealed their line-up of launch day applications available on the PlayStation 4 today. That is to say, the various different apps that PS4 owners can download and mess around with that aren't games or general internet features. It's important to note while each individual app may have its own subscription associated with it, a PlayStation Plus subscription is not required to access any of them.
Here are the apps that will be available starting on November 15:
- Amazon Instant Video - Amazon Instant Video offers two great ways to watch movies and TV shows instantly, anywhere. Buy or rent from a selection of more than 150,000 titles or subscribe to Prime Instant Video and get unlimited streaming of tens of thousands of movies and TV episodes.
- Crackle - A part of Sony Pictures Television, Crackle is a freely accessible multi-platform television network delivering original series such as Emmy®Award nominated Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, and hit movies and television programs in a variety of genres.
- Crunchyroll - Watch the latest and best selection of Anime right from Japan such as Naruto Shippuden, Attack on Titan, Bleach and more up to one-hour after Japanese broadcast!
- EPIX - Authenticated subscribers on the PS4 system can instantly access and stream more than 3,000 titles on-demand, including top blockbusters such as The Avengers and The Hunger Games in HD, classic Hollywood franchises, award-winning original documentaries plus music and comedy specials.
- Hulu Plus - Hulu Plus offers unlimited instant streaming of current hit shows like Family Guy, The Simpsons, and South Park as well as original series including The Awesomes and The Wrong Mans.
- NBA Game Time - Stay connected to live out-of-market NBA game action on the PS4™ system with NBA LEAGUE PASS Broadband on an authenticated basis for subscribers. Get access to real time stats, complete scores, stats and schedules for every game, and video highlights and recaps.
- Netflix - Netflix members can instantly watch a wide variety of TV shows and movies, including exclusive series such as House of Cards and Orange is the New Black, on the PS4™ system.
- NHL GameCenter LIVE - Instantly stream live out-of-market games* in HD quality with your NHL GameCenter LIVE™ subscription.
- Redbox Instant - Subscribers can stream from a library of hit movies on the PS4™ system and receive 4 DVD or Blu-Ray rental nights every month for new releases at the Redbox® kiosk. Everyone can purchase and rent the latest movies on-demand.
- VUDU - Watch the world's largest selection of HD movies and TV shows, including thousands of blockbusters, Hollywood classics and indies. Stream new releases before they¹re available on DVD, or build a collection of favorites without ever paying for a subscription.
- YuppTV - YuppTV offers over 150 Indian TV channels Live and on demand, including a selection of over 600 Movies to watch anytime, anywhere.
These apps come in addition to Sony's own Music Unlimited and Video Unlimited services, which we've talked about at length before.
Ahh, it's refreshing to see that the big movie subscription services like Netflix and Hulu are going to be available starting day one. It's also pretty great to see other third party apps like YuppTV jump in and rush to get their app live. Hopefully it gets a few random subscribers for ensuring their app was available day one. Who knows, maybe the PS4 will now become the console of choice for Indian TV lovers.
However, there is one big omission that I see right off the bat. Twitch.tv's spectating app, considering it's not on the list, will not be available day one. It was previously confirmed that in order to watch streams via Twitch PS4 owners would be required to download an app, yet it's not listed here as a day one download. Have things changed or is this a big delay