League of Legends' haunted Halloween event is just about to begin! Yes, The Harrowing is beginning a little late this year (and almost missed the holliday entirely), but it looks like everything at Riot Games is back on track and ready to roll out. Yes, according to Riot the patch is planned to be released as soon as possible. It's not up yet, but it could arrive any minute now. In the mean time, Riot's posted a teaser site for the event covering all the exciting content League fans can spend their money on.
Like last year's Harrowing event, The Shadow Isles, there's a meta event going on unlock summoner icons, Harrowing themed wards will be available for purchse, but this time they're permanent, and for the first time Riot's making "Mystery Gifting" available for players. Here, let's go into a bit more detail on exactly will be available during the Harrowing event:
- New Skins:
- Haunted Zyra (975 RP during launch, 1375 RP after)
- Officer Vi (975 RP)
- Legacy Skins (prices TBD)
- Harrowing 2010: Mundo Mundo, Pumpkinhead Fiddlesticks, Kitty Cat Katarina, Zombie Ryze, Lollipoppy, Nosferatu Vladimir
- Harrowing 2011: Frankentibbers Annie, Definitely Not Blitzcrank, Bewitching Nidalee, Haunting Nocturne
- Harrowing/Shadow Isles 2012: Headless Hecarim, Haunted Maokai, Underworld Twisted Fate, Headmistress Fiora, Pirate Ryze, Zombie Brand
That's right, there will be only two brand new Harrowing skins released this year. Quite the disappointment, right? As you can tell from the list above, two is a grossly inferior to previous Harrowing skin releases. To make up for it, Riot is releasing previous Harrowing event skins and it seems to be appeasing the League of Legends community to some extent.
- What is Mystery Gifting? Mystery Gifting allows you to pick up a surprise gift for your friends! For 490 RP, you will be able to send your friends a random skin worth at least 520 RP for a champion they own.
- What skins are available for Mystery Gifting? Most skins for Champions that your friend owns are eligible for Mystery Gifting, as long as they are worth at least 520 RP. Every skin on sale in the store will be eligible and this includes Legendary and even Ultimate skins! There are even some Legacy skins not for sale in the store that are included like Scuba Gragas and Annie in Wonderland.
A thematically fitting feature that will also likely prove hugely profitable! Spend 490 RP on a mystery gift and the friend you send it to is guaranteed to get back a skin worth at least 520 RP. It's just as likely, however, that the gift will unlock a skin of 975 or 1350 RP value -- or even a legendary skin! I've always loved League of Legends' holiday gifting and this seems like the best idea yet -- and oh so fitting for the spooky holliday.
- Available for free through November 19
- Each skin can be unlocked permanently for 640 RP during the event
- Tomb Angel Ward, Deadfall Ward, Haunting Ward, Bat-O-Lantern Ward, Widow Ward
Last year when Ward Skins were debuted during the Harrowing event, the skins could only be purchased for limited amounts of time. This business model positively outraged the community, but it seems like Riot's come to see the error of their ways. It's taken some time, as everything Riot does tends to do, but each ward skin can now be permanently unlocked. If that's not your thing, then try them our for free during the event.
Summoner Icon Rewards - Each of the five icons can be unlocked by completing a certain task during the event, but will only unlock after The Harrowing ends
- Tomb Angel - Use a Harrowing ward skin (free)
- Spirit of the Altar - Buy any piece of Harrowing content
- Vilemaw - Venture into the Twisted Treeline (free)
- Iceborn Keeper - Surprise a friend with a mystery gift
- Morellonomicon - Earn all four rewards to unlock the fifth Harrowing 2013 icon
Last year's Summoner Icon unlocks were a great way to encourage players to try different game modes, partake in the holiday spirit, and unlock some goodies at the same time. Nothing has changed in terms of how the event works, or what sort of rewards players can get, but the Icons are brand new and that's all that really matters in the long run.
Altogether an epic holiday update for players to make the most out of. Oh, and it just so happens that the League of Legends Harrowing update will also coincide with patch 3.13. Mercy, Riot! The most terrifying aspect of the game is a potential meta shift right at the end of the season! Fear the Heimerdinger! FEAR THE HEIMERDINGER!