Starting on the Xbox One's launch day, November 22, gamers will be able to download a free "Preseason" of Kinect Sports Rivals. There's not even an Xbox Live Gold requirement! After the disappointing news that Rare's Kinect-based sports game was delayed into spring of 2014, there was a lot of talk about that missing Kinect pack-in on day one. Why bundle a Kinect if there's no Kinect games? Well here we go.
Here's a list covering all of the Kinect Sports Rivals "Preseason" details and bonuses:
- Download the free trial experience anytime from November 22 thru November 30 and start earning points to unlock the special “Founder” player title, an exclusive Kinect Sports Rivals wetsuit and a Kinect Sports Rivals wake racer to commemorate the launch of Xbox One.
- Players will compete against familiar faces – including a fully digital version of me (Major Nelson) and my good friend AceyBongos who will step in as tough competition.
- Monthly challenges with unique objectives and rewards will become available within the Kinect Sports Rivals Hub – some will be personal, some will be co-op, and some will pit nation against nation in a global battle for international fame. Each challenge will deliver its own exclusive rewards that will carry over to the full game when it launches next spring.
- Complete every player challenge given and expand the fun by racing against a friend in the same room in split screen mode.
- Enjoy an all-new track by rising band Youngblood Hawke. They recorded “Collide” just for Kinect Sports Rivals.
I'll freely admit I was frustrated to hear that Kinect Sports Rivals was delayed into spring 2014. Unless you're planning on playing Forza or Ryse with the Kinect (crazy) or just love the sound of saying "Xbox One" entirely too much, there's very little justification for bundling the Kinect 2.0 with the Xbox One. At least Kinect Sports Rivals would have been a game to help increase that justification. Having even a small free version of the game makes me feel that much more comfortable with the Kinect. Well, unless it's complete garbage.
Kinect Sports Rivals will be launching in spring of 2014. In the mean time, download the free "Preseason" demo which will last until March of next year. Hey, it's something!