It seems like just when we think we're wrapping up coverage of one Atelier title another two pop up to take its place! Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky, direct sequel to Atelier Ayesha: Alchemist of the Dusk, has been confirmed for release in North America on March 11, 2014 and in Europe on March 7. Will this duo of unlikely heroes help their world survive the impending "Dusk End?"
Escha & Logy certainly looks to be one of the most unique Atelier experiences to date. Here's a short list of main features from the game, as provided by Tecmo Koei:
- Two protagonists, two stories, more gameplay. Depending on which protagonist a player selects, the story and events will unfold from different perspectives. For players who enjoy the traditional Atelier series, Escha’s story will fulfill their alchemy RPG needs! For players who enjoy a classic RPG, or are newcomers to the series, they can choose Logy’s story to begin their journey in the Atelier universe!
- Battle with more teammates! Traditionally, in the Atelier series, only 3 characters could join the battle party, but in Atelier Escha & Logy ~Alchemists of the Dusk Sky~, players can have a maximum of 6 characters in battle to allow for more strategy and faster-paced fights!
- Streamlined synthesis welcomes newcomers and long-time series fans! The synthesis system and interface have been streamlined to make item creation more approachable and enjoyable. As their Synthesis level goes up, players will be able to access more items for synthesis.
- Fast-paced, turn-based combat system! Battles are fought using a turn-based combat system, but character actions and command inputs are optimized for fast-paced fights. During battle, players can use support attacks, in which allied characters hop in and appear one after another in an effort to execute impressive follow-up attacks! Utilize the assist attack system to rule the battlefield!
- Alchemist-exclusive attack, Double Draw! As Alchemists, Escha and Logy can use the various items they create through synthesis during battle. Atelier Escha & Logy ~Alchemists of the Dusk Sky~ has expounded on that concept and created a new alchemist-exclusive command, “Double Draw,” which allows consecutive item use while also increasing their effects!
- Gorgeous graphics with lively characters! Characters’ faces are meticulously animated and show a wide range of expressions. With the newly implemented engine, the characters in Atelier Escha & Logy ~Alchemists of the Dusk Sky~ really come to life!
Yet again, Japan's robust selection of RPGs for the PlayStation 3 continue to leak over to the rest of the world. It's just taking a bit longer than one might expect. Atelier Escha & Logy, for instance, was originally released in Japan on June 27 earlier this year. That means the western world won't be getting the game until almost nine months after the original release. Beggars can't be choosers, but come on guys.
Put it on your calendar, RPG fans! Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky coming to your PS3s in March of 2014. Hopefully Tecmo Koei delivers.