How about fighting off the alien invasion all over again? 2K and Firaxis announced the rumored XCOM: Enemy Within, which is not a sequel, but instead an updated and expanded version f the game that's already out there. How about a bevy of weapons, abilities, enemies and assorted maps and challenges? Enemy Within will be offered as an expansion on PC/Mac, but Xbox 360 and PS3 players will have to purchase a while new standalone package starting November 12.
Lead Designer at Firaxis Games, Ananda Gupta, offered the following insight into Enemy Within's development:
"We promised gamers that we would deliver the same Enemy Unknown experience on both PC and console last fall, and we’re doing it again with Enemy Within. The Commander Edition of XCOM: Enemy Within expands the already amazing XCOM experience for our console fans who are looking forward to even more of the game they love. It’s also a great point of entry for new fans just joining the XCOM fight."
As for what sort of expanded content XCOM fans should look forward to, how about a little bit of everything?
- Soldier Abilities: Research a new alien technology to advance the capabilities of operatives
- Weapons and Equipment: Give operatives an extra tactical edge with new projects from the engineering team in the Foundry;
- Enemy Threats: Adopt new tactics to counter the threats from a host of new enemies, including the Mechtoid;
- Strategic Resource: A valuable new alien resource, known as Meld, has been discovered. Secure it on the battlefield and use it carefully back at base to unlock new research and upgrades;
- Tactical Challenges and Maps: Face new tactical challenges, on nearly 50% more maps;
- Multiplayer Maps, Units and Abilities: Create custom squad from a wider array of options and dominate opponents in intense, one-on-one, turn-based matches.
While I can't help but admit that I was expecting a sequel announcement when the rumor started for XCOM: Enemy Within, it's hard to be disappointed. It sounds like Firaxis is delivering exactly what XCOM fans want, which is just a whole lot more XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Just, you've got a sequel in development, too? Right, Firaxis Games?
XCOM: Enemy Within can be purchased as additional content for PC and Mac copies of the game. Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 gamers will be able to pick it up as a standalone pack named XCOM: Enemy Within - Commander Edition that includes Enemy Unknown and all of its DLC content up to this point -- Elite Solder and Slingshot. All of it arrives on November 12 later this year.