Everquest II has just launched its latest content update, "Darkness Dawns." According to Sony Online Entertainment, Darkness Dawns will close out the events of the latest expansion, "Chains of Eternity," as well as the story of Velious. Considering that the story is coming to a close and that a tenth expansion has yet to be announced, players should now be asking, "What comes next?"
Sony Online Entertainment provided the following list of content and features added in Darkness Dawns:
- Fabled Dungeons: New high-level versions of old favorites from the first EQII expansion (Desert of Flames) return, including current high-level loot
- Character Advancement Templates (CATs): Players can now select fully completed character builds to exchange and rebuild at will... with no re-specialization fees!
- New Contested Avatar Raids (3): Go up against three new contested avatars in the overlands -Prexus, Solusek Ro and Drinal
- Arena of the Gods: A new raid instance allowing 24 players to challenge any of 9 avatars that are in game
- Daily Objectives: Earn valuable tokens to spend on unique and useful loot!
- Tradeskill & PvP: New high-end tradeskill apprentice goodies and PvP rewards
Everquest II will be celebrating its ninth anniversary this November, but first it will be announcing its 10th expansion at next month's SOE live event in Las Vegas August 1-4. However, how long will it be before SOE starts shifting resources and putting Everquest II to bed? Everquest Next has already been shown to certain members of the press to a solid reception.
Is Everquest Next about to take over the reins of the franchise? Whatever the future holds, there should be plenty of content for existing fans of Everquest II in Darkness Dawns. Available now!