Oh dear. Nintendo has opened the flood gates on Pokemon X and Y information again. I take it this is the English translation of all the information packed into yesterday's big CoroCoro feature. Only Nintendo has also included a brand new gameplay trailer and a good amount of screenshots as well! Most of the big details have already been translated and propagated through the community, but here's a quick wrap up for everyone.
It starts with new details about the two legendary Pokemon that grace Pokemon X and Y's box art, Xerneas and Yveltal:
- "Xerneas is a Fairy-type—a brand-new type being introduced in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. Watch the awe-inspiring beauty of Xerneas’ exclusive move, Geomancy, which features rainbow-colored light that erupts from the earth around it. Xerneas has the special Ability Fairy Aura, which naturally takes effect in battle, strengthening Fairy-type moves for all Pokémon in battle. Be careful, because Fairy Aura also has a positive effect on opposing Pokémon that know Fairy-type moves."
- "Dark- and Flying-type Yveltal is the only Pokémon that can learn the move Oblivion Wing, which sends Yveltal flying high into the sky to release a powerful beam of red light that scorches the ground below. The Destruction Pokémon’s special Ability, Dark Aura, is a counterpoint to Fairy Aura, raising the strength of Dark-type moves for all Pokémon in battle. This Ability is powerfully effective in Double and Triple Battles when facing multiple opponents simultaneously. So, when Yveltal is in battle, it’s smart for players to fill their team with Pokémon that can use Dark-type moves."
That seems like a pretty fair trade off. Either pick up Pokemon X and get the brand-new typed legendary Xerneas, or Pokemon Y and get a rad Dark/Flying-type Yveltal. A tough choice for any Pokefanatic.
Next are the official names for the five Pokemon revealed in yesterday's leaked scans of CoroCoro magazine. Pancham's giant bear evolution is named Pangoro, the Dark/Psychic squid is named Inkay and its evolution is Malamar, the cotton candy fairy is Swirlix and the bird fairy will be Spritzee. Keep in mind Swirlix is Pokemon X exclusive and Spritzee is for Pokemon Y.
Also confirmed is that previously announced Pokemon Clauncher will be Pokemon X exclusive and his counterpart in Pokemon Y is Skrelp. Decision, decisions!
Now we've gota bunch of new details related to the story of Pokemon X and Y, starting with the Professor's name who will give you your first Pokemon and start you on your journey. Introducing Professor Augustine Sycamore, a rather suave looking fellow with hair that must take hours to make look just right.
Let's not stop with Professor Augustine Sycamore, however. There's more details than that to burn through:
- Players will encounter the mysterious Team Flare organization on their journey. A "strange and fashionable" group that's found all across the Kalos region.
- Two additional gym leaders will be joining Santalune City's Viola on the roster. Grant, a sports freak, and Clemont, a science geek who will be accompanied by his sister Bonnie.
- O-Powers are a new feature that grant players the ability to "power up" the Pokemon in their party. These include temporary increases to stats, increased experience points, or improving the odds of catching a Pokemon. Also, O-Powers can be shared via the new Player Search System (works over the internet).
- Wonder Trade will allow Pokemon X and Y players to trade with other players across the world. There's a catch, though. It's a blind trade, so you might trade for a legendary or you might catch a Ratata.
Obviously that's a lot of information to take in, but hopefully it's enough for folk to get even more excited than before for Pokemon X and Y. Game Freak is seriously stepping up their game, innovating in a lot of new ways, and making their first title on the Nintendo 3DS a memorable one. Pokemon X and Y are definitely impossible to pass up for Nintendo fans.
Pokemon X and Pokemon Y will be released on October 12 exclusively on the Nintendo 3DS.