Forgot the PS4 and Xbox One. Today, the OUYA is officially available via retail. Hold onto your butts.
This little console, roughly the size of a Rubik's Cube, is priced at $99 with a library of 170+ downloadable titles at launch; those controllers will cost $50 each, however. All games are free to try, and media apps run in 1080p HD. It's being touted as the "most affordable, accessible, and innovative new video console on the market today."
Less than a year ago, this console was little more than an idea that wound up with a Kickstarter campaign. Now? Well, now it's actually a thing. Here are some of the key features:
- Console: A sleek 3” x 3” cube of brushed aluminum, OUYA features an open OS with custom interface built on an NVIDIA Tegra 3 chipset that delivers fast performance, amazing graphics, and surround sound in 1080p HD.
- Controller: Designed specifically for OUYA, the controller features all the button combinations for a truly immersive game play experience, including two analog sticks, D-Pad, eight action buttons, a system button, touchpad, and Bluetooth connectivity.
- Games: With more than 170+ games already available for download on the system, OUYA’s ever-growing game library covers every game experience imaginable, including Chronoblade, Beast Boxing, Final Fantasy III, Saturday Morning RPG, No Brakes Valet, and Sega’s Sonic games. All games are free-to-try. No more discs, and you own your games forever.
- Apps: OUYA fans can access their favorite streaming video and music apps including content directly from Twitch.tv, Plex, XBMC, TuneIn, Crunchyroll, iHeartRadio, and many others.
- DISCOVER Store: OUYA focuses on discovering the most fun games. Games are organized by player engagement, plus an ongoing roster of guest curators share their favorite game picks.
- MAKE Channel: An evolving channel that uses OUYA’s built-in software development kit to enable creators to build and test games, later allowing a direct relationship with OUYA gamers through the system.
Currently, the console has only been released in the US, Canada, and the UK. You should be able to find it at most major retailers where you'd expect to find video games, like Amazon.com, GameStop, Best Buy, Target, and GAME.
OUYA launch trailer - YouTube