Over the past week a ton of new Pokemon X and Y information has been released, including several new Pokemon, the Kalos region's first gym leader, and four friends from the player's starting town, Vaniville Town. Unfortunately, most of the names for these characters had yet to be localized yet, coming from Japanese sources. Nintendo of America to the rescue! Here's the localized info along with a bunch of new pictures and screenshots.
First off is Pokemon X and Y's first Gym Leader, Viola. Viola's gym, located in Santalune City, has an interior constructed from spider webs. As such, I hereby forfeit my Pokemon championship aspirations and declare what I will now call the "Nope Badge" unattainable. Viola also has an older sister, Alexa, who is a professional Pokemon photographer, though her role in the game is yet unclear.
Next are four of the player character's newfound friends from Vaniville town -- where our adventure starts. Shauna, Tierno, Trevor and Serena/Calem (depends on whether the player picks boy or girl respectively) will begin their Pokemon adventures into the Kalos region with you. Here's a quick introduction to each of them, as provided by Nintendo:
- Shauna is an incredibly energetic girl who is coming along on the journey to find a dream of her own. She’s friendly and outgoing, and seems to genuinely enjoy all the curiosities you’ll come across on your journey.
- Tierno is the dancer of the group and wants more than anything to create a dance team with his Pokémon. Strong, kind, and light on his feet, Tierno gets easily distracted by watching opposing Pokémon during battles because he’s too busy trying to incorporate Pokémon moves into his dances.
- Trevor bursts with curiosity about the world around him. He’s an excellent student, and very competitive, wanting to be the first of the group to complete his Pokédex.
- Serena or Calem lives next door to you in Vaniville Town. This character has a passion to become a powerful Pokémon Trainer and sets out on the journey to accomplish that dream.
Should we assume Serena/Calem are the player's rivals in Pokemon X and Y? Or are we seeing a potential romantic interest here?
Then finally we have the four new Pokemon revealed in CoroCoro magazine, among other sources, this past week. There's baby kitty Litleo, flower fairy Flabébé, and our first full evolution chain Scatterbug, who becomes Spewpa, and finally evolves into Bug/Flying Pokemon Vivillion. Here are some brief details:
- Litleo is a Fire and Normal-type Pokeon who uses the skill Noble Roar. Noble Roar intimidates targets and lowers their Attack statistic.
- Flabébé, alongside Sylveon, is one of the debut Fairy-type Pokemon. Flabébé uses Fairy Wind, a Fairy-type attack new to Pokemon X and Y that summons wind to blast enemies. As befits a Fairy-type character, Fairy Wind is super effective against Dragon-type Pokemon.
- Scatterbug knows stringshot, as is common for early game Bug-type Pokemon. After evolving into Spewpa, another Bug-type, he learns Protect. Finally, after evolving into Vivillion, he can learn Struggle Bug, a Bug-type move that lowers the Special Attack of opposing Pokemon.
In addition to all of the above details, there's also a new gameplay trailer showing off, well, almost all of the great new Pokemon and characters revealed over the past week. That's including the above new Pokemon and Noivern too! Check it out and maybe take a look at the new pictures we've added to the gallery as well.
Pokemon X and Y will be globally launched on October 12 exclusively for the Nintendo 3DS.