Hey Neoseeker. It's that time of the week for another "Week in Review" and I'm stuck wondering what to do with this introductory paragraph. As per my usual style of nonsense, I figure this space in the article is the best area to talk about what's coming next week!
A lot of pre-E3 happenings start next week, so expect a lot of rumors, a lot of energy, and a lot of very stressed out folk in the industry. Gran Turismo's big anniversary event shappens on Wednesday, which could lead to the announcement of Gran Turismo 6. Metro: Last Light, a survivor of the THQ armageddon, gets released on Monday. And oh man is E3 really less than a month away? Oh man, oh man, oh man. Video games, everyone.
Let's get to it.
League of Legends gets a lot of attention for its busty ladies, and let's bet honest Riot Games kind of flaunts that, but in the background is a harem of manly bros waiting for their time to shine. Luckily, our very own Lydia is here to seperate the men from the boys. There's going to be some hurt feelings, because with over 100 champions there's a lot of bros. Just remember, each and every one of us has their very own top 10 manliest manly men of League in our hearts.
"Wow. Bethesda has just announced Wolfenstein: A New Order, the first title from relatively young developer MachineGames. For those unknowing, MachineGames formed in 2009 from a number of talented folk departing from Starbreeze Games. Their previous experience includes The Darkness and The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. And now they're working on a reimagining of Wolfenstein. Wow."
"Early details are scant, as Electronics Arts is currently holding a conference call with fansites, but the news is still official -- Maxis has announced The Sims 4. Coming to PC and Mac in 2014, The Sims 4 will be an offline single-player experience and, well... that's about all we know right now. Basically, all that's been provided to us is the image in the header. My guess for a title? The Sims 4: Eyebrows."
"The Walt Disney Company and Electronic Arts have just announced a huge, multi-year exclusivity deal for new games based on Star Wars characters and storylines. Barring certain social, mobile, tablet and online game projects which Disney retains the rights to, EA will be the sole licensee of the Star Wars franchise with respect to video games going forward. No financial details, nor the length of the exclusivity agreement, were revealed."
"The news has just gone from bad to worse for TimeGate Studios, co-developer of Aliens: Colonial Marines, as the company has reportedly laid off its entire staff. Nothing has been officially confirmed just yet, but regardless things are looking grim. TimeGate has been in some hot water lately, as some employees were let go in March and then the studio filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection last week."
- It's official, GameStop will stop taking PS2 trade-ins starting June 1, at least in the US
- Ubisoft fires Assassin's Creed game designer and creator Patrice Desilets, making this the second time
- Avalanche Studios nearly had a deal for open world Star Wars game according to executives
- Brace yourselves, soccer fans, EA will continue making FIFA games until 2022
- Activision reports drop in World of Warcraft subs, comments on disappointing Wii U launch
- Sony returns to profit, but PlayStation unit isn't keeping up
- Konami reports significant financial loss, but finds success in social and online gaming
"Valve has just announced The International 3, the third annual world championship tournament for Dota 2. Last year's tournament saw the crowning of Chinese team Invictus Gaming as champions, so it's only fitting that they receive the first invitation to this year's event. Over the next weeks twelve more teams will be invited, followed by three qualifying events for the final three spots. 16 teams, one championship, August 7-11."
"League of Legends just wrapped up its spring playoffs for Season 3's League Championship Series, finding Team SoloMid reclaiming their throne as the best North American team -- for now. As the excitement at the top of the mountain dwindles, so we look to the bottom. Today marks the start of the LCS Summer Qualifier, where 12 teams battle for four spots in the summer league. Four teams go home today; who will come out on top?"
- Humble Double Fine Bundle is here and valued at $120, throws in 'Broken Age' with $35 contribution
- Sony celebrating Gran Turismo's 15-year anniversary with May 15 event, Gran Turismo 6 reveal likely
- CD Projekt RED launches The Witcher 2's REDkit community development tools, "Do it, Geralt"
Trailer and Screenshots
- Saints Row IV "Meet the President trailer
- The Wolf Among Us screenshots
- Hellraid gameplay trailer
- Final Fantasy X-2 HD screenshots
- Injustice: Gods Among Us Batgirl DLC trailer
- Watch_Dogs screenshots
- WildStar "Movement" DevSpeak trailer
- Rumor: The Sims 4 set to be unveiled tomorrow, May 5, "big announcement" planned for fansite event [Confirmed]
- Rumor: Microsoft internal email says next-gen Xbox to be "tolerant" of modern internet instability
- Rumor: Nintendo optimizing the Wii U to run mobile applications, offering developers conversion software
- Rumor: Sony pitching "Greatness Awaits" as PlayStation 4's rallying cry
- Fuse 2 demo (PS3, Xbox 360)
- Mario & Donkey Kong: Minis On the Move (3DS)
- Super Sanctum TD (PC)
- Afterfall Insanity - Dirty Arena Edition (PC)
- Pinball FX2 (PC)