Ready for more Defiance? Good, because you're getting more Defiance. This MMO that's also a TV show will have five DLC releases in the future, plus some free content for those who would rather not pay.
On a recent blog post via the official Defiance site, executive producer Nathan Richardsson goes over his team's immediate plans for the multiplatform MMO, the first of which covers an additional playable race -- the Castithan. No dates or time window was given for the five add-ons, but we do know that the first one will be arriving later this month and be broken up three ways.
See, there is a paid option where if you hand over $10, you'll get a playable race and good share of other content. A free option includes different content, and no playable race, and the third option lets you snag bits of the add-on pack individually via the game store.
You get this when you buy the DLC for $10:
– Access to play the Castithan Species
– Access to a new Story Mission Line with new Battle Arena Game Mode
– Access to the new Castithan Battle Arenas
– Castithan Charge Blade & Ceremonial Mask as a reward from Story Mission Line
– A unique version of the Raptor, a new 4 player truck of doom
– A unique Castithan version of an outfit
– A Charge Weapons Starter Pack
– Access to New Pursuits
– New Xbox and PS3 Trophies and Achievements
You get this in the DLC for free:
– Access to the new Charge Weapons Class and Castithan Blades
– Access to Sieges, a new Open World Game Mode
– Access to the new Monolith Major Arkfall
– Access to a new PvP Map – Military Academy
– Join a friend into the Battle Arenas Game Mode
– Duel your friends and neighbors in the Duels Game Mode
– Enemies, lockboxes, and events can drop Charge Weapons
– Select a new voice for you character
– Multitude of game improvements from UI to content
You can buy these individually from the store:
– New Mods that tint the color of your Castithan Blade
– Lockboxes have a chance to get Charge Weapons
– More versions of the Raptor, the new 4 player truck of doomed compensation
– Character Customization changes: Appearance change, name change, or everything change
All future DLC will follow this same structure, giving the community a number of options to buy or... not buy. The game's goal, according to Richardsson, is to make sure players keep getting more content that they want to play.
While we can't vouch for SyFy's Defiance TV show, Trion's MMO was actually rather fun. It has room to grow, but the potential is certainly there.