League of Legends' biggest content patch since the Season 3 rework, potentially since Dominion, is now available to summoners in North America. The "Enter the Freljord" patch introduces ARAM matchmaking on the all new Howling Abyss map, new champion Lissandra, reworks for champions Sejuani and Trundle, a bunch of skins and another bunch of lore updates. Check out Riot Games' "Enter the Freljord" promo page for the full summary.
Off the back of the mid-season Spring Playoffs for Season 3, of which Team SoloMid took first place, the "Enter the Freljord" patch should keep summoners content until the summer season of the League Championship Series begins. The new Howling Abyss map on its own may be the most impressive content release Riot's done yet -- the quality is staggering.
Here's a full list of the content coming to League of Legends today -- and now available, I might add:
- Lissandra, The Ice Witch, joins the League
- Lore updates for the three tribes of the Freljord
- Avarosan - Ashe, Tryndamere, Anivia, Nunu, and Gragas
- Winter's Claw - Sejuani, Volibear, Olaf, Udyr
- Frostguard - Lissandra, Trundle
- The Howling Abyss map, along with a 5v5 "All Random All Mid" matchmaking mode
- Avarosan, Winter's Claw, and Frostguard unlockable summoner icons - Choose one icon and win 10 normal or ranked games to unlock it permanently, but only one can be unlocked as changing will reset your progress
- Reworks for Trundle and Sejuani - If you've previously unlocked these champions you'll have access to their "Traditional" skin as well as their reworked skin
- New Skins - Legendary skin Blackfrost Anivia, Ice Drake Shyvana, Runeguard Volibear and Bloodstone Lissandra, on top of the two new traditional skins for Trundle and Sejuani, and each of their older skins completely redesigned
There's quite seriously way too much new lore for me to summarize in this article. If lore is something you're interested in, I'd recommend searching for Quinn's journals as she investigated the conflict in Freljord. That's how this whole business started. As a follower of League lore myself, these changes are... dramatic. The marriage of Tryndamere and Ashe, one of the biggest events of League lore history, appears to be retconned, but with everything going on it's difficult to tell.
Ah, it's just all too much! I think it might be best to ignore thinking about the scale of this patch and to just go ahead and jump right in. I'll start with setting up my Frostguard summoner avatar, unlock Lissandra, and then dive into a few rounds of ARAM matchmaking. Cheers, Riot! I'm a happy League of Legends player, I am.