It was just the other day when word came that a free update is on the way to Borderlands 2 to increase the inventory size. It would affect the backpack and bank storage, plus Gearbox was throwing in some more ammo SDUs for good measure. Gearbox promised it'd have more details on the free update soon, and today it has delivered. The free update will arrive on April 2 for all platforms, same as the Ultimate Vault Hunter upgrade pack to increase the level cap.
Posting on the official Gearbox website, the studio provided a fairly solid update on what to expect next Tuesday. For starters, the maximum amount of Eridium that can be carried at one time is increased from 99 to 500, which ties in perfectly with all the storage and ammo upgrades. See for yourself below:
Changes in 4/2 Software Update (Free)
- Adds new items to the Black Market:
- One additional ammo upgrade for each ammo type, at 50 Eridium each.
- Two more backpack storage space upgrades, at 50 and 100 Eridium respectively.
- Two more bank storage space upgrades, at 50 and 100 Eridium respectively.
- Increases the maximum amount of Eridium players can hold from 99 to 500.
- Adds a new playthrough balanced for top-tier play: Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode.
- Various bug fixes.
Hopefully the massive increase to Eridium also means it's more plentiful on Pandora, but we'll just have to find out on Tuesday. The studio also provided details on the Ultimate Vault Hunter upgrade pack, which is free for Season Pass members or $4.99 for everyone else:
Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack
(Free with Season Pass, $4.99 / 400 Microsoft Points separately)
- Raises level cap to 61, allowing characters to gain 11 additional levels.
- Characters gain a skill point with every level from 51 to 61, for a total of 11 more skill points.
- Powerful new "Ancient" E-Tech relics and rare Pearlscent-grade weapons can be picked up in Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode.
Overall April 2 sounds like a busy day for Borderlands 2 players. Gearbox says all the effort "required re-balancing, re-tuning and re-testing the entire game," so gamers should be in for quite a treat. The storage increase should be quite welcome for most, even if it's still shy of the original game's, while Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode is perfect for anyone who just can't get enough of their favorite characters.