At a recent San Francisco press event NIS America pulled out all the stops, announcing three new localization projects under their wing. Disgaea fans will be pleased to know that NIS is hard at work bringing Disgaea Dimension 2: A Brighter Darkness overseas! A second title from Nippon Ichi Software was also announced for localization, The Guided Fate Paradox. Finally, there's Time and Eternity, from Arc Rise Fantasia developers ImageEpoch. All three titles will be exclusive to the PlayStation 3 and should be out this fall (Time and Eternity scheduled for this summer).
Here's a brief introduction and description for each of NIS America's three new licensed properties:
Disgaea Dimension 2: A Brighter Darkness marks the return of the original cast of the original Disgaea in a brand spanking new storyline. Welcome back Laharl, Etna, and sporting an all new fallen angel look, Flonne. Expect that same complex strategy RPG gameplay the franchise is known for with high definition assets and animated backgrounds.
Here's a list of key features from the upcoming Disgaea release:
- Enhanced Customization - Completely rebuilt customization system that sets a new standard for the series.
- Master/Pupil System - Pupils learn skills from the master, accruing higher weapon efficiencies, while the master gains a stat boost
- Item World - It's back. It's huge.
- Geo Panels - Status-altering blocks that adds an extra level of tactical thought to every map
- Old Friends, New Crew - Laharl, Etna and Flonne retur, along with an exciting cast of new characters and a completely new storyline.
A PlayStation 3 exclusive, Disgaea Dimension 2 will release in Japan in March, but we can expect it to reach North America this fall.
The Guided Fate Paradox
Another strategy RPG in the vein of the Disgaea franchise, but really more of spiritual successor to Z.H.P. Unclosing Ranger Vs. Darkdeath Evilman, The Guided Fate Paradox prioritizes being accessible.This "roguelike" is about a boy who becomes a god through a mall lottery. He then must travel to another world, making changes that effect the real world in order to make people's wishes come true. Does he really understand what's going on, though? Does anyone?
Here's a list of key features on The Guided Fate Paradox:
- Highly Customizable - Intense armor, weapons and more -- like tank tread or race car legs.
- Randomly Generated Dungeons - Aha, here's where the roguelike comes in. Floor after floor of unique dungeon exploration. Keep going down deeper, because since you're a god, you can't die.
- Artwork from Noizi Ito - Artist behind The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya created the art.. Ooo.
- Hi-resolution 3D Sprites - Enough said?
- Disagaea-Inspired Special Attacks - If I recall, that means some pretty over-top-top, crazy combos and attacks.
PlayStation 3 exclusive, just like the other two games, The Guided Fate Paradox is planned for release this fall. Much more of a dungeon crawler than Disgaea, it seems. Will be tough to decide between the two.
Time and Eternity
Time and Eternity is an, err, eccentric RPG with a rather striking hand-drawn style to it. Oddly enough, the title starts during your wedding, marked by your own death. Luckily your wife turns out have two souls, which allows her to travel back in time? This, you're able to jump across time in order to solve and prevent your own murder, and to get married.There are some perverted undertones related to your two-soul'd wife here, but... eh, we'll leave it at that.
Here's a list of key features to be found in Time and Eternity
- Hi-definition Animation - Hand-drawn with highly detailed CG background.
- "Time is on your side" - Control time to prevent your own murder and save your marriage.
- Real-time Battle System - Each of your two wives has special abilities that lead to a fast and intense combat experience.
- Personalized Combat - Guns, swords and time itself, customize your gear to create a personalized playstyle.
Another PlayStation 3 exclusive, Time and Eternity will be available in both North America and Europe starting this summer.
Hopefully one of the three newly announced titles looks like something you can get excited about. NIS America stepping up and bringing as many great Japanese RPGs overseas as they can, projects both large and small. A lot of folk will be excited to hear about Disgaea D2, but hopefully Guided Fate Paradox and Time and Eternity will also get added to everyone's game radar.