Star Trek is a video game. Is your mind blown, yet? Some of you may recall a fairly mildly received trailer from Gamescom, but we've been assured that the movie-inspired title is still in development. In fact, it now has a release date. Star Trek, the video game, will be released on April 23 for the PC, Xbox 360 and PS3, building into the release of JJ Abram's sequel movie Star Trek Into Darkness.
In addition the a release date, Namco Bandai has also revealed some preorder bonuses which we assume are likely to be outlet specific:
- Stealth Pack – Kirk and Spock stealth uniforms, plus Starfleet Type IV Stealth Sniper Rifle and extra ammo
- Brawler Pack – Kirk leather jacket costume and Spock Vulcan Science Academy costume
- Kelvin Pack – Kirk and Spock U.S.S. Kelvin uniforms, plus U.S.S. Kelvin Hand Phaser
- Academy Pack – Kirk Academy Uniform, Spock Officer Dress Uniform, plus Academy Phaser
- Kobayashi Maru Pack – Kirk and Spock Kobayashi Maru uniforms
Much like The Amazing Spider game from earlier this year, it's doubtful that the events of the Star Trek game will be canon in the movie universe. I could be wrong of course, but generally things are better this way as it allows the game some freedom to explore various settings and themes.
Look forward to more Star Trek news, screenshots and trailers as we get into the new year and the movie's media campaign really takes off. Like, seriously, there's going to be a lot of money spent on Star Trek to make you want to join in the fun. Hooray.