Santa Gragas is back again to spread holiday joy, opting for Drunken Cheer instead of Rage, marking the beginning of this year's Snowdown Showdown in League of Legends. With the next patch, tons of holiday content will be released, including the ability to gift Champions, skins and RP to players on your friends list (for a limited time). There's no word yet on if Summoner's Rift will turn snowy, but I've a feeling the season summoner spirit will be positive no matter what.
Riot Games' teaser for the Showdown Snowdown event is packed full of goodies. Here's the summary of everything being added, or check out the promo site yourself:
- Four New Winter Holiday Skins
- Four Classic Legacy Winter Holiday Skins
- Holiday Ward Skins - Snow-minion and Gingerbread Teemo sight and vision wards will be free from patch day until January 6.
- 6 Snowdown Summoner Icons - Each icon will be awarded for completing a specific holiday task. Distribution may take a few days, so don't fret if the icon doesn't unlock immediately.
- Participating in a five-man premade match in any queue
- Behaving well in the spirit of the Snowdown season
- Purchasing RP as a gift for a friend
- Purchasing a champion as a gift for a friend
- Purchasing a skin as a gift for a friend
- Being one of the top participants this Snowdown
- Gifting - League of Legends is temporarily enabling the gifting of verified transactions. That's gifting, not trading, so only direct purchases will be giftable. From the day of the patch until December 26, summoners will be able to gift to players on their friends list:
Oof, sorry for all of the bulletpoints, but there really was a lot of content to go over. It's great to see gifting finally introduced to League of Legends, though I'm a bit surprised that it's only for a limited amount of time rather than permanent. I'd figure Riot would love the idea of folk gifting year-round, but at the same time I find the limitation to the holidays a very respectable decision.
The exact date of the patch has yet to be announced, though I wouldn't be surprised if it came sooner rather than later. With a holiday sale and the release of the newest champion Vi ahead of us in December, this should be a very special month in League of Legends.