Update 2: Riot has been busy! The potentially new map, as we guessed earlier, looks like it's a Twisted Treeline remake instead. Riot has released a news post detailing the upgrades, which focus on widening the champion pool that's viable, as well as speeding up games. Through optimizing the item shop and terrain modification (take that, blink champions), Riot wants the map to be fast-paced, champion focused and action packed. Did I mention it's probably going to look amazing? Probably.
Update: Shortly after the Shadow Isles teaser went live, Riot Games also put out the official 'Elise, the Spider Queen Revealed' feature. The post contains each of her skills, lore, design princicles and in-game model. Like Nidalee, Elise features a transformation ultimate skill, allowing her to switch between her human and spider form with each having its own skill kit.
Abilities (Human form):
- Spider Swarm (Passive): Elise’s Human Form spells will ready a spiderling when cast on an enemy.
- Neurotoxin: Elise damages a target based on its current Health.
- Volatile Spiderling: Elise releases a venom-gorged spiderling that explodes when it nears a target.
- Cocoon: Elise fires a skillshot that stuns the first enemy struck.
- Spider Form: Elise transforms into a menacing spider with new abilities. While in Spider Form, Elise deals magic bonus damage on attack and has increased Movement Speed, Armor, and Magic Resistance. Each level of her ultimate allows Elise to summon an additional spiderling.
Abilities (Spider Form):
- Spider Swarm (Passive): Elise summons her spiderlings to fight by her side. Spiderlings deal physical damage and take reduced damage from multi-target abilities.
- Venomous Bite: Elise lunges forward and bites her target, slowing them and dealing bonus damage based on how low its Health is.
- Skittering Frenzy: Elise and her spiderlings gain Attack Speed and heal her on each attack.
- On enemy cast: Elise and her spiderlings ascend high into the air and descend upon an enemy target.
- On ground cast: Elise and her spiderlings ascend high into the air, becoming untargetable for two seconds. Casting Rappel on a nearby enemy during this time will descend upon your target.
- Human Form: Elise transforms into a human form with new abilities. Each level of her ultimate allows Elise to summon an additional spiderling.
Prepare for a League of Legends teaser like none before it, as we introduce the 'Shadow Isles.' Riot Games' huge upcoming update is packed full of content: Elise, the Spider Queen, is introduced; four new Shadow Isles skins (and a promise of more for the Harrowing); lore updates for Shadow Isles champions Mordekaiser, Karthus, Hecarim, Yorick and Evelynn; a promise of ward skins and summoner icons soon available on the store; perhaps most significant of all, a big teaser for what could potentially be a new map. The Shadow Isles, ever mysterious, will certainly leave their mark upon all summoners.
It's difficult to decide where to start, but I doubt the League's new champion would settle for anything other than first. Elise, The Spider Queen, a far cry from the original parasol wielding spider matron of League-past, instead molded into Riot's no-fat-chicks-allowed club of sexy temptresses. Where Zyra is adorned by vines and leaves, Elise prefers leather, though certainly only enough to keep League of Legends teen rated. Her claws and dress of many legs promises an insidious evil underneath, however. The glowing red eyes aren't particularly friendly either.
Oddly enough, Riven of all champions is able to give us some background on the our Spider Queen:
"Elise's regal demeanor and captivating charms belied the feeling of dread she conjured in the pit of my stomach. Something in the deceptively musical timbre of her voice gave the impression there was a monstrous beast locked away beneath that unearthly smile. I looked around at her spellbound followers, and could not shake the feeling that they were ensnared like insects in a web, awaiting some horrible fate."
Next on the list of content that is, apparently, not Harrowing related are four Shadow Isles themed skins. Headless Hecarim, Haunted Maokai, Death Blossom Elise, and Underworld Twisted Fate are in the works and should be released soon. If those don't fit your fancy, hold your horses, because Riot adds in some small text further on:
"Also be on the lookout for details regarding Harrowing-themed skins and intimidating new summoner icons."
Yes, it appears Riot is planning two waves of spooky skins this year, the first of which will be Shadow Isles-themed and the second for the Harrowing. Of course, who knows when any of this content will be released or in what order. All that can really be said is the more skins the merrier... err, spookier.
Nerds looking for more stuff to buy will also be pleased to hear that Riot is introducing ward skins. Yes, skin that will change how wards appear in-game. This "atmospheric flair" will be coming to the store soon for both RP and IP, so look forward to that.
Finally, and perhaps most importantly, an orb at the bottom of the teaser site will pull up the following image. What does it mean, what does it represent? Could we be on the brink of the release of a new Shadow Isles map? "For a precious few," could mean a variety of things -- perhaps some sort of exclusive reward for certain players? Keep in mind, summoners, the 3v3 map Twisted Treeline fits thematically with the Shadow Isles and is sorely in need of an update.
League of Legends' Shadow Isles beckon, err... towards an ambiguous release date. Expect updates as we get them. Riot Games hasn't been sitting on their hands during the Season 2 World Championships, and their hard work will soon be readily available.