Square Enix has announced the final chapter in the Lightning Saga for the Final Fantasy 13 series, Lightning Returns.
A new action adventure title, Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy 13 is touted as the concluding chapter to the story of Lightning. The game, which launches sometime during 2013 on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, gives players direct control over the pink-haired heroine in a "constantly moving, expansive environment". The quest is to save a doomed world from being completely destroyed.
Producer Yoshinori Kitase expressed his delight in the game's announcement:
"We are pleased to reveal that Lightning is returning as the playable character in this title, and are excited to see how fans react to the more direct battle system and expansive environment that can be explored at will."
Director Motomu Toriyama further commented on what players can look forward to:
"Increased levels of player freedom, customisation and connectivity with the real world, will ensure that this concluding chapter will be an exhilarating finale to Lightning's story."
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy 13's key features are:
- Lightning under your control: Lightning will be the playable character - with a highly evolved range of techniques for battles and exploring the environment. Customise Lightning with a large range of different outfits and weapons; that affect not only the way she looks, but also her actions and abilities.
- Action-orientated combat: A new battle system gives a level of direct control over the action unlike any Final Fantasy game, while having iconic elements that are known and loved throughout the series too.
- A constantly moving, beautiful world: Stunning artistic direction depicts a doomed world filled with choice and diversity. Living, expansive environments featuring a rising and setting sun provide unique experiences for every player.
- Use your time well: A world on a course for total annihilation presents unique challenges; where certain areas, missions, and people will only be available during selected periods. How will you use your remaining time?
- A connected experience: Stay connected to Final Fantasy and its characters, with unique features that link the in-game world to the real world.