Update: If reading is too much work, then the ResidentEvil.net trailer might be more suited to your tastes. Check it out below, after the break.
Capcom has dropped a few more details regarding their new online service ResidentEvil.net, though it isn't anything we haven't seen before from other multiplayer services.
Set to debut in October with Resident Evil 6, RE.net is pretty similar in purpose to Halo Waypoint, Battlelog, Call of Duty ELITE, and so forth, acting as a sort of virtual community hub. Users will be able to share their in-game activities through Twitter and Facebook, download some sort of mobile app, participate in organized events, and so forth.
All this was briefly mentioned last week, when Capcom announced RE.net at gamescom, but details were somewhat vague then. So here's a breakdown of what we know so far, though there's still no mention of any premium content:
- Comprehensive stat tracking
- Enemies killed
- Weapons used
- Medals earned
- And more...
- Compare your game with those of friends and other Resident Evil 6 players around the world
- Link your status with Twitter & Facebook
- Share your latest achievements with friends
- Receive alerts when your high score has been beaten
- Free Smartphone App to launch alongside the service
- Will support iOS, Android and Windows devices
- Earn RE.Net points just by connecting to the service or entering events
- Exchange points for cool items including additional Mercenaries costumes or figures to place in your very own Resident Evil diorama
- Compete in regular organised events such as:
- Join fellow gamers to defeat a set number of enemies
- Aim for a high score in Mercenaries Mode
- Champion Belt events
- Compete in these special events to win the ultimate accolade, the Champion’s Belt
- Can only be held by one player at any time
- Players will need to defend their title or watch it fall to another player
Resident Evil 6 and ResidentEvil.net will both be released on October 2 for Xbox 360 and PS3. A PC version "will follow soon." So far, the demo has only been made available to Xbox 360 owners who also have a copy of Dragon's Dogma.
ResidentEvil.net trailer - YouTube