Update: dedicated servers will support admin-controlled unlocks.
The Call of Duty series took a bit of a vacation on PC when Modern Warfare 2 released, returning when Black Ops came 'round, if not in full form. Naturally then, many have been curious how Modern Warfare 3 would shape up on the platform, and as of a few minutes ago, we've got all the details.
On the bright side, the game will feature dedicated servers, RCON for admins, a server browser, and filters, plus Steamworks integration, graphics options (including SSAO), custom game saving, voice chat, multiple layers of security, LAN, and more.
The major downside is for all that support, only unranked matches can be played on dedicated servers -- if you want to progress, you'll have to use the matchmaking system. As well, lean and options for maximum framerate are out. So, while not absolutely everything it could be, it's well above average. Mind you, unranked dedicated servers puts a huge damper on things.
With the news comes minimum system requirements, which are rather low indeed.
- OS: Windows® XP / Windows Vista® / Windows® 7
- Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6600 or AMD Phenom™ X38750 processor or better
- Memory: 16 GB free hard drive space / 2GB RAM
- Video Card: Shader 3.0 or better 256 MB NVIDIA®GeForce™ 8600GT / ATI® Radeon™ X1950 or better
- Sound Card: DirectX® 9.0C or later
If you still have questions or just want every last detail, hit the source for a FAQ.