Neoseeker : News : Battlefield 3 leaving DX 9 behind, Frostbite 2 engine good news for PC gamers
Sort by date: ascending descending
0 thumbs!
^
Northern49 Aug 3, 10
Good news, indeed. Finally a game that actually pushes post DirectX 10 into the mainstream.
2 thumbs!
^
Supernova1332 Aug 3, 10
Not a big fan of the classic BF series but I'm glad to see they're catering to all of the systems strengths and hopefully making the PC version actually worthy of being a PC version. Makes my heart all warm and fuzzy
Once I get a dx11 card I'll need to give this a go
0 thumbs!
^
Northern49 Aug 3, 10
I won't be upgrading to a DX11 gpu until I get my hands on a at least a handful of DX11 games. I'm the first to complain about people buying an entire console for a single game, so I won't be the first one to buy an entire graphics card just to push out a few additional pixels and frames for one either.
0 thumbs!
^
Lorx Aug 3, 10
Hell. Yes.

Can't wait for this, definitely gonna be awesome.
1 thumbs!
^
db022190 Aug 3, 10
I'd still like to see some of the features in BC2 carry over to BF3, one of the features I'd like to see carry over the most is the squad based gameplay (medic, assult, recon, engineer)... I can't stress enough how much I liked being in a squad with my own friends that I could count on reviving me, resuplying me, repairing my vehicle, or even helping spot enemies... unlike those CoD fanboys who decide to try a new game and play conquest or rush modes like a team deathmatch round running around like idiots looking for kills or can't figure out why my guy is yelling "hey I need ammo", "I need a medic", or "can I get a ride".
0 thumbs!
^
chautemoc Aug 3, 10
Battlefield series has always had squad based gameplay...that's what makes it Battlefield. I love it too.
1 thumbs!
^
angry1 Aug 3, 10
As a fan of the BF1942 and BF2, this is very promising. If they hold true to these original games (large maps and 64+ players, aeroplanes, wide range of vehicles, squad and commander setup, server and modding tools) BF3 will sell like hotcakes on the PC.
Why not make BF3 like they made BF2 - each map having 16, 32 and 64(+) variants. If the consoles cannot handle the larger maps and increased numbers of players and vehicles, restrict them to the 16/24/32 player map sizes.
In BF2 these smaller versions of the maps were contained within the larger ones, offered less vehicles, and rarely offered jets, and if built in a similar fashion on BF3 should be playable on console hardware without restricting the PC experience.
1 thumbs!
^
John Aug 4, 10
Thanks for the article, i love Battlefield, i play it much on PC in the old days. I love it, can't wait, i hope to see the communications key back (Default key "Q" in BF2).
-1 thumbs!
^
son Aug 5, 10
This entire article is just apologist spin. We all know Frostbite (and Frostbite 2) is an engine optimized for console. Furthermore we also know DX10,11 didn't bring much to the table worth bragging about. Add to this that rendering engines and eye candy can easily be swapped out for consoles, and all this accounts for maybe 5% of the game, which barely addresses PC gamers fears about the other 95% that will likely be dumbed-down to consoles. What is this other 95%? GAMEPLAY. We're talking about 80+ player maps; unrestricted land, sea, and air battles with multiple vehicles in each category; on-going battles on multiple parts of the map, encompassing squads vying for various key map areas, not just a shoebox chokepoint; and finally a dash of top-down RTS commanding. That is the BF formula, and when we see THAT confirmed (and only then), will our minds be eased. By now, we expected the biggest selling points of BF to be elaborated further with its announcement, And yet strangely, they remain silent on this front...
0 thumbs!
^
bill Aug 5, 10
db022190

Squads were in Battlefield 2 too.
0 thumbs!
^
halvors Aug 7, 10
Again from the mouth of Johann, we're told Frostbite 2 is "developed simultaneously for the strengths of each platform (i.e. we use the best API for each platform)." In other words, it's a multiplatform engine, but a good one that should satisfy all players, no matter the platform, in the same sense BioWare or Capcom have or CD Projekt will be with The Witcher 2.

So make a Linux version too
^
Sponsored
Sort by date: ascending descending
- This news story is archived and is closed to new comments now -
Newsletter
Latest News
Latest Inhouse
OCZ RevoDrive 350 480GB Review AMD A10-7800 Kaveri APU Review Seagate Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD v4 6TB Review Cooler Master Nepton 280L Liquid Cooler Review Fractal Design Core 3300 Mid Tower Case Review EVGA Tegra NOTE 7 & ASUS Transformer Pad TF701T Review
(0.1349/mc/web8)