Microsoft has a lot to celebrate, especially with the Xbox LIVE Arcade bringing in such high figures. Beyond all the posturing over console sales manufacturers are so fond of, the 360's digital marketplace is booming, showing a 41 percent year-over-year sales increase.
Last month, XBLA sales reached a record high of $10.6 million in the US, a great leap from February's $6.8M. The Xbox LIVE Block Party event in March is likely the biggest contributing factor to the sudden growth. In March, Microsoft plastered LIVE with hype and ads for the retro Game Room, Scrap Metal, Toy Soldiers, and Perfect Dark, which were released throughout the month.
Not surprisingly, all three games currently sit in the top ten, with Toy Soldiers and Perfect Dark occupying the top two slots. Signal Studios' gorgeous World War I strategy game Toy Soldiers is top dog with 209,000 downloads; Rare's remake of the N64 classic shooter Perfect Dark follows up with 161,000 sales. Scrap Metal sits a bit lower on the list, while older releases like Castle Crashers and Shadow Complex are still going strong.
- Toy Soldiers - $3.14m (209k)
- Perfect Dark - $1.61m (161k)
- Trials HD - $0.8m (53k)
- Battlefield 1943 - $0.56m (37k)
- Castle Crashers - $0.51m (34k)
- Hasbro Family Game Night - $0.32m (32k)
- Scrap Metal - $0.27m (18k)
- Marvel vs. Capcom - $0.25m (25k)
- Shadow Complex - $0.2m (13k)
- Magic: The Gathering - $0.16m (16k)