PC indie starship-fighting tactical game, Gratuitous Space Battles, has gained its first DLC expansion pack. Selling for $5.99 USD, the DLC adds a new race to the enemy mix up in this game of skill and giant space lasers. The expansion pack is called 'The Tribe.'
Gratuitous Space Battles was made by one-man studio, game maker Cliff Harris of Positech Games. For this DLC though he brought in another artist to help make up the new, "tribal" alien race.
This game pits you in the role of fleet commander for a flotilla of spaceships. Half of the game you'll be figuring out what to arm your spaceships with; the other half you'll be arranging your fleets. Then the show-down comes. Fleet against fleet. You watch and see how good your decisions are in a symphony of phasers, lasers, torpedoes, missiles, and fighter craft. We reviewed Gratuitous Space Battles back in September -- if you'd like to read more about the game, go here.
According to Cliff, the new alien race isn't too big into shields for their ships. Instead they rely on heavy armor. Additionally, they are also a big fan of flak cannons.
In addition to the new alien race to choose from (bringing the games total to 4), the expansion pack adds the following content:
- 11 New ships. 4 Cruisers 3 Frigates and 4 fighters, all in a new graphical style by the same artist who did the original GSB artwork.
- 1 New weapon type: The kinetic weapon. Basically autocannons, howitzers etc. These fire rapid-fire bursts which are good at short range, not so good at long range
- Enhanced repair modules. The tribe are great at repair, and their repair modules are race-specific and out-perform everyone else's.
- New ship bonuses. The tribe ships have only half the shield and armor strength of everyone else, but they have twice as strong hulls as their opponents. This means Tribe ships seem to be on-fire and falling apart for half the battle. It also means you need to re-think your tactics.
- 2 New Scenarios. Two maps for you to fight against the tribe, or for you to use in uploaded challenges with whichever fleet you like.