"IRVINE, Calif, Toshiba America Electronics Components (TAEC), Storage Device Division expands its industry-leading 1.8-inch hard disk drive (HDD) line with the 5GB Type II PC Card HDD. The new drive packs high capacity into a PC Card format, providing additional portable storage and increased mobility for notebook PC users.
Everything is better with a hard drive in it, said Amy Lian, director of Toshibas HDD business unit. Building on Toshibas established leadership in the 2.5-inch hard disk drive market, we are helping to write the next chapter for the storage industry with our powerful 1.8-inch family.
The new 5GB PC Card HDD offers mobile computer users the highest capacity available in a sub-2.5-inch form factor and the most cost effective solution especially when compared to other small-footprint HDDs. Boasting the industrys highest areal density per platter at 21.1 gigabits per square inch, the 5GB HDDs powerful, lightweight design makes it an ideal bridge device for sharing data between systems such as two notebooks, a notebook and digital camera or other digital gear. The new drive also functions as an external hard disk drive with robust back-up storage capabilities for large multimedia files and presentations.
The data back-up capacity is equivalent to 3,472 floppy disks or more than 7 CDs, and the 1.8-inch lines low power consumption makes it an ideal choice for mobile users concerned with battery conservation. With a sleek design measuring 5mm high, 54mm wide and 85.6mm deep and weighing in at less than two ounces, Toshibas new 5GB HDD has a smaller footprint than a credit card and is lighter than a traditional pager.
Compatible with any Type II PC Card slot, Toshibas 1.8-inch PC Card eliminates the need for and hassle of carrying data from multiple diskettes or CDs while on the road. The rugged design and reliability of Toshibas 1.8-inch HDD line offers the right capacities to meet todays increasingly diverse range of storage needs. In addition to storing large files, it also serves as a bridge device to transfer digital data from electronic equipment with PC Card slots such as high-end digital cameras to computer systems where editing and file sharing can take place.
In addition to the 5GB drive (MK5002MPL), Toshibas 1.8-inch family also includes a 2GB PC Card hard drive (MK2001MPL) for applications requiring data back-up capacity equivalent to three CDs of storage. Both 1.8-inch PC Card HDDs are 100 percent plug-and-play compatible, support data transfer rates of up to 20MB per second and can withstand non-operating shock of up to 1000g. Toshiba also offers a 1.8-inch 5GB embedded drive (MK5002MAL) to serve the non-PC appliance and emerging applications markets.
Pricing, Availability and Warranty
Toshibas 5GB 1.8-inch Type II PC Card HDDs will be in volume production in June and begin shipping in late July. Manufacturers suggested retail price for the new 5GB 1.8-inch PC Card is $499 with a one-year warranty, and it can be purchased through distributors and on Toshibas Web site www.shoptoshiba.com. The 1.8-inch HDD family is compatible with all notebooks and devices with a PC Card slot, as well as desktop computers with a PC Card adapter. For additional information on Toshibas Type II PC Card HDD family or on Toshibas 1.8-inch ATA-5 drives for embedded compact storage please visit www.harddrives.toshiba.com."
- Pokémon GO trainer has caught 'em all and become the very best 
- Sega re-enters the console wars with mini Mega Drive, 80 games plus cartridge slot 
- Rumor: Nintendo NX to be portable console with cartridges and NVIDIA Tegra processor 
- Pokémon GO responsible for falling Nintendo stocks, Slowpoke finally caught on 
- Classic and Modern Sonic the Hedgehog join forces in Project Sonic 2017 
- No Man's Sky dev Hello Games in hot water over alleged use of superformula 
- Summon Night 6 crosses borders with hefty Wonderful Edition bundle 
- Uno comes to PS4, Xbox One, and PC in August with video chat, prepare to ruin friendships 
- The Nintendo Entertainment System will launch November 11 for $59.99 
- July CoroCoro leak introduces two new Pokémon, meet Kiteruguma and Mimikkyu 
- Pokémon GO blamed in shooting death of Guatemalan teen during home invasion 
- Summer Games Done Quick 2016 starts on Sunday, watch the race for charity here 
- Nintendo stock prices skyrocket as Pokémon GO places Eevees in the highway 
- Pokémon GO trainers asked to stop catching Pokémon in The Holocaust Museum 
- Tue, Jul 26
- Sid Meier's Civilization VI sees Catherine de Medici ruling the French through subterfuge
- Rumor: Nintendo NX to be portable console with cartridges and NVIDIA Tegra processor
- Classic and Modern Sonic the Hedgehog join forces in Project Sonic 2017
- Sega re-enters the console wars with mini Mega Drive, 80 games plus cartridge slot
- Mon, Jul 25
- Summon Night 6 crosses borders with hefty Wonderful Edition bundle
- Pokémon GO responsible for falling Nintendo stocks, Slowpoke finally caught on
- Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV will release in theaters August 19, see Lucis on the silver screen
- Final Fantasy Brave Exvius celebrates 5 million global downloads with new story
- Fri, Jul 22
- FFXIV x Yo-kai Watch collaboration event starts next week
- Conception II brings classmating season to Steam this August 15
Latest Net Reviews
|·||Tesoro Gram Spectrum|
|·||Thermaltake Pacific RL360|
|·||ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 AMP! Edition|
|·||Asus ROG STRIX-RX480-O8G-GAMING|
|·||Asus ROG STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING|