The setting for Metal Gear Solid 4 (MGS4) is a time far beyond where MGS ends and MGS2 picks up.
The player once again takes on the form of Solid Snake and undertakes new missions.
In MGS and MGS2, the player snuck into man-made buildings, and in MGS3 the player tackled the natural landscape of the 1960's. What follows with MGS4 is a whole new concept in which the harshest infiltration missions will need to be performed in completely new situations.
In the first Metal Gear Solid title, Liquid Snake, who has the same genetic makeup as Solid Snake, takes over the advanced weapon system at Shadow Moses, an island located in the northern sea off of Alaska. He demands the release of the body of Big Boss by the US government in exchange for the nuclear weapon system, Metal Gear Rex. Solid Snake is sent on a solo mission to infiltrate the cold, deserted island to confront his brother, the other Snake.
In MGS2, Raiden, a new member of the Foxhound group, is sent on a solo mission to intercept the plans of the terrorist group who have built a fortress at Big Shell, the wastewater purification facility off the coast of New York. In the process of carrying out the mission, the existence of a powerful organization that has worked behind the scenes to aid the prosperous development of the American Republic gradually comes to light.
MGS3, the latest release, goes back to the Cold War era and tells the tale of the original Solid Snake. It vividly depicts the birth of Big Boss.
With the fourth installment of the MGS series, the storyline is once again set in the near future. The next-generation PlayStation 3 platform will be infiltrated by an all-star cast and loaded with shocking new scenerios. The secret behind winning the warfare of the next-gen is not found in any "place" but rather in "Sense."
- MGS4 pushes the power of the PLAYSTATION 3 to its limits with cutting edge graphics and surround sound. It also aims to be the hallmark title for the new DUALSHOCK 3 controller.
- Command Snake in his final mission which spans the entire globe and his quest to foil the plans of Liquid Ocelot and his massive army of PMCs.
- Snake can directly aid local militia who engage invading PMCs soldiers, or encourage more fighting to slip past undetected amidst the commotion.
- Unlock custom weapons and modifications as you trade weapons with your black market weapons dealer, Drebin.
- Metal Gear Mk. II, the ultimate reconnaissance tool, Solid Eye, which gives Snake real-time information on enemies and his surroundings, and the OctoCamo suit which allows Snake to blend into his environment and hide his presence.
- Users can choose a variety of camera angles to use to match their game play style.